5,606,779 Members 38,287 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Stuck at starting chromecast... Help!

Tip us?

bilalnoor
Old
(Last edited by bilalnoor; 1st January 2014 at 11:03 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Stuck at starting chromecast... Help!

Hi everyone!
I just got my chromecast today and i got it to setup just fine on my tv. I left my device for updating and after half an hour when i saw my tv, the device was stuck at 'starting chromecast'.
I can't get it to work now. i have tried to reset hundred times but nothings happens, just a plain white light, i also can't find my device through my phone or laptop, neither does resetting router made any difference. Tried different tv but same result.

Anyone had this issue?
is there any way i can flash stock rom?
Help guys!

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalnoor View Post
Hi everyone!
I just got my chromecast today and i got it to setup just fine on my tv. I left my device for updating and after half an hour when i saw my tv, the device was stuck at 'starting chromecast'.
I can't get it to work now. i have tried to reset hundred times but nothings happens, just a plain white light, i also can't find my device through my phone or laptop, neither does resetting router made any difference. Tried different tv but same result.

Anyone had this issue?
is there any way i can flash stock rom?
Help guys!
When you said reset I hope you mean unplugged it, wait 10 secs and plug power back in..
Then try re-running the Setup app and see if that can find the unit.

bilalnoor
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
When you said reset I hope you mean unplugged it, wait 10 secs and plug power back in..
Then try re-running the Setup app and see if that can find the unit.
reset mains, pressing button for 25 secs. i have also tried to run setup app several times. no luck!

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 215
Quote:
reset mains, pressing button for 25 secs. i have also tried to run setup app several times. no luck!
Unplug the unit from everything! Pull the power wait 10 seconds then plug it back in....Reset Buttons are only ever good for going back to Factory reset IMO LOL

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I left my device for updating and after half an hour when i saw my tv, the device was stuck at 'starting chromecast'.
Was it updating a Google OTA, or were you flashing a custom ROM via FlashCast?

Quote:
First thing to try is as Asphyx said - power cycle the Chromecast.

The reset button won't work if the device is hung or not checking the button state, and even then it's a settings reset, not the same as a power cycle.

See how that works and let us know.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Kyonz
Old
Thanks Meter 201

DONATE TO ME
I actually had this issue the other day and it appeared to be the power source I was using, try using a USB port with a bit more juice and see if that helps. (unsure if you're using the stock provided or something else).

bilalnoor
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Was it updating a Google OTA, or were you flashing a custom ROM via FlashCast?

First thing to try is as Asphyx said - power cycle the Chromecast.

The reset button won't work if the device is hung or not checking the button state, and even then it's a settings reset, not the same as a power cycle.

See how that works and let us know.
First it was flashing Google OTA and second i have left the device off for couple of hour for power cycle and third i was using the adapter provided from the start.
I think i'll have to replace the device then, may be it's dead!
I'll try to send it back to Google then.

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
It might be dead. Just as a final check unplug it from HDMI then give it power and see if it looks like it boots, then plug into HDMI (without disconnecting power)

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

bilalnoor
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
It might be dead. Just as a final check unplug it from HDMI then give it power and see if it looks like it boots, then plug into HDMI (without disconnecting power)

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
no luck!

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 565

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
no luck!
Sorry to hear that. Hope it isn't too many steps to get it replaced!
If you got it retail it's usually easier/faster to exchange it there.