[Q] Help for novice re: Custom Rom / Rooting / SkyGo

Tip us?

chrismcenaney
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Tablet [Q] Help for novice re: Custom Rom / Rooting / SkyGo

Hi All,

Help would be much appreciated on this. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to the whole Rooting / Custom ROM thing, so if I sound stupid or something doesn't make sense then just let me know and I'll try to explain better.

I bought a Sumvision Cyclone Voyager BT 10.1 back in June running Android 4.1.

Sumvision then released a firmware update to move to Android 4.2 which I flashed to my device in August/September I think (not important).

Anywhoo, the SkyGo app has now been made available on the Play Store, so I downloaded, and looked to put a bit of Sport on, but it says it doesn't work on Rooted devices.

I don't think I have a rooted device, but after searching the internet a little it appears that SkyGo won't work if you have a Custom ROM either (which I'm guessing this update is?!).

What would be the best option here to get SkyGo working? I'm happy to go back to Android 4.1 - but I'm not sure if flashing this to my device will still show as a Custom ROM?

I'm also wondering if actually Rooting my device and then using one of those 'Hide My Root' apps to fool SkyGo would also work?

Any advice greatly appreciated - the easiest solution (other than buying a different device) would be best for a simpleton like me.

-fluffy-
Old
Thanks Meter 1350

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismcenaney View Post
Hi All,

Help would be much appreciated on this. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to the whole Rooting / Custom ROM thing, so if I sound stupid or something doesn't make sense then just let me know and I'll try to explain better.

I bought a Sumvision Cyclone Voyager BT 10.1 back in June running Android 4.1.

Sumvision then released a firmware update to move to Android 4.2 which I flashed to my device in August/September I think (not important).

Anywhoo, the SkyGo app has now been made available on the Play Store, so I downloaded, and looked to put a bit of Sport on, but it says it doesn't work on Rooted devices.

I don't think I have a rooted device, but after searching the internet a little it appears that SkyGo won't work if you have a Custom ROM either (which I'm guessing this update is?!).

What would be the best option here to get SkyGo working? I'm happy to go back to Android 4.1 - but I'm not sure if flashing this to my device will still show as a Custom ROM?

I'm also wondering if actually Rooting my device and then using one of those 'Hide My Root' apps to fool SkyGo would also work?

Any advice greatly appreciated - the easiest solution (other than buying a different device) would be best for a simpleton like me.
i think if u search the playstore there is a app there can hide ur root otherwise there is one there can remove the root

chrismcenaney
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by -fluffy- View Post
i think if u search the playstore there is a app there can hide ur root otherwise there is one there can remove the root
That's the thing, I don't think my device is rooted. It has a custom ROM, which is why I don't think SkyGo works, but it's not rooted, so the 'Hide my Root' app won't work.

Would actually Rooting my device work then? Just so I can use that app?

-fluffy-
Old
Thanks Meter 1350

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismcenaney View Post
That's the thing, I don't think my device is rooted. It has a custom ROM, which is why I don't think SkyGo works, but it's not rooted, so the 'Hide my Root' app won't work.

Would actually Rooting my device work then? Just so I can use that app?
there is a app there can check if u are rooted on playstore

chrismcenaney
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So... my devise isn't rooted....

Any suggestions? Should I root it and use the root hider app? Does that hide the fact you're using a custom ROM? Does anyone use them?