5,596,179 Members 33,935 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Surface RT work like a Pro - Ho to

Tip us?

D@vide
Old
(Last edited by D@vide; 2nd January 2014 at 11:41 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Lightbulb Surface RT work like a Pro - Ho to

Hi all,

browsing the web I read in the link below, a way to make RT to work like a Pro. Unfortunatly I'm not familiar with Windows Azure that seems to be the key of this solution.

What do you think about ?

Here you go: http://www.systemcentercentral.com/h...windows-azure/

D@vide
Nokia Lumia 820 with 64GB MicroSD - HTC Mozart unlocked & Mango Updated...still unlocked - HTC TouchPro2 Energy on board - HTC P3600 (no more TIM branded) with 8Gb Sandisk micro-sd and adapter * 1Gb Kingmax minisd * cooked & recooked rom on board * - I-mate K-JAM with 512 MB Sandisk Minisd - qtek2020-qtek9090-hp4150-hp1940 and many other sd - Asus Vivo Tab RT - iPad 2 & 4 generation 64 GB - iPhone 4S 64GB - Samsung Galaxy S - Samsung Galaxy Next
Now playing with WD My book Live NAS 2 Tbyte

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2471
Meh, way too much effort for what you get, in my opinion. It's a bunch of shenanigans with remote desktop (remote apps, specifically), working around the limitations on using Windows Server. It'll work, after a fashion, but it's not fast to set up, it requires a good Internet connection at all times, you need to make sure to save locally instead of saving on the server (unless you don't mind leaving the files on the server), and Azure subscriptions cost money (not a lot, for the low-end instances the guy uses, but some).

Saying it makes RT "work like a Pro" is complete hyperbole. It makes RT work as a thin client. No more, no less. Whoop-de-do; welcome to the 1970s.
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

acrossland
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I agree with GDTD that it is a tremendous amount a work for a fairly small gain. I think that employing the jailbreak gives one a great deal of flexibility to do pro-like work on an RT.

There's a couple of great text editors (Notepoad++, SciTE, MicroEMACS, Vim), a couple of C# IDEs (QuickSharp, SharpDevelop), two source-control clients (Subversion, Fossil), Python, Perl, Lua and NodeJS, WinMerge.

There really are lots of options for doing real work on the RT without going nuts with Remote Desktopping. No, you're not going to have access to Visual Studio, and compiling C or C++ isn't available, but if that is the subset of development activities that is most important to you, you can always go Surface Pro.