XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can I run Stock Android

Tip us?

MCChang
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can I run Stock Android

Hi guys, I've come to the conclusion no one can answer my previous thread, so I'm starting a new one, asking a different question.

Can our phones just run stock Android? I mean, does Android support all our drivers? If it does, I may be tempted to just use that instead.

thanks.

Robin>Hood
Old
(Last edited by Robin>Hood; 26th December 2013 at 02:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 78
Default YES .... BUT!

The answer is yes, BUT, I suggest you start reading about what Android actually is and the workings of this OS.
Then you will discover the possibilities yourself and within no time have the phone just the way you like it

If you would have read the forum you would have already had an answer to your own question.
Think before you act my friend.
There are AOSP and AOSP based roms for our device, whatever you want. You will find out what this means!

On this forum some useful threads:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2232085

When I google for "What is Android custom rom AOSP" I get these links for you to start of with, do not forget, google is your friend in your search for answers
http://highonandroid.com/android-roms/what-is-aosp/
http://android.stackexchange.com/que...nd-a-stock-rom
http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05...you-want-them/

MCChang
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks Robin>Hood!
I neglected to mention that my phone is actually a customized China-only Xperia SP running on China Mobile's proprietary 4G network. It is called the Xperia SP M35t, and with the exception of more ROM (16 vs. 8)? and I'm assuming a chip that allows it to run to the LTE variant network.

Obviously I'm hoping that it would have no bearing on this conversation, and an AOSP ROM would be able to have all required drivers to run my phone properly. That I guess is the crux of my question.

cachanilla86
Old
Thanks Meter 454

DONATE TO ME
I believe the Chinese Xperia SP is unique, You can't run other Android version besides the stock one.

MCChang
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks cachanilla86! I guess I'll have to wait till a ROM comes out. Thanks!

adfad666
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4042

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCChang View Post
Thanks cachanilla86! I guess I'll have to wait till a ROM comes out. Thanks!
It depends what you mean by stock Android. You can't just download AOSP, compile it and flash it.

You CAN download Android source code from CodeAurora, compile that with a few minor tweaks and it will work (see my recaf project). I think it even has support for the Chinese LTE variant (I read something about it in code comments) but I didn't look at it as it didn't interest me, I obviously have no way to test it.
The dawn of mobile phones
Ericsson GA 628 => Nokia 5110 => Siemens C35i => Siemens C45

The age of colour screens and polyphonic ringtones
Motorola C350 => Sony Ericsson T610 => Sony Ericsson T630 => Sony Ericsson K790i => Sony Ericsson T250i

The age of Android
LG Optimus One => Sony XPERIA J => Sony XPERIA SP => Sony XPERIA Z1 Compact

MCChang
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks adfad666. I don't think I'm quite ready for any programming, minor tweak or otherwise. I'll just wait for someone to create a ROM for the Chinese Xperia.