[Q] How can I get Chrome to sync properly on an Unrooted HDX 8.9

3rd January 2014, 04:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 14

57 posts
I installed Chrome but wasn't able to log in to have it sync all of my bookmarks.

Back before we had root, I found and followed instructions by AndroidCowboy (found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2485004) to install portions of the Google framework which allowed Chrome to sign in and work properly. But I've been plagued by pop-ups where the Google Play Services and Google Service Framework stop working. It's just a matter of tapping the OK button to dismiss them, but they're getting annoying.

Now that the device has been out a little longer, does anyone know of a way to install just enough to make Chrome sync its bookmarks but not constantly have background processes die? I don't use GMail from my Kindle and am okay with not having the Play Store since I can just pull APKs off of my rooted phone. I'd prefer to not root my Kindle since right now I can get all of the additional functionality I want by running Nova.

Thank you for your time!
3rd January 2014, 05:14 PM   |  #2  

56 posts
After following Android Cowboy's guide I was also getting multiple force closures. I have found that if I uninstall Google framework I don't get force closures anymore and all is well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
3rd January 2014, 07:03 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

57 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrsnshane

After following Android Cowboy's guide I was also getting multiple force closures. I have found that if I uninstall Google framework I don't get force closures anymore and all is well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

I uninstalled just the Framework piece and now Chrome isn't syncing right. If I delete a bookmark from my Kindle, it gets deleted from my PC, too. If I add a bookmark from my Kindle, it does add it on my PC's desktop view, but it adds it to the top of the folder instead of the bottom.

But, if I add a bookmark from my PC, my Kindle can't see it.

Not sure why it's only syncing one direction.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread