5,606,465 Members 33,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Motorola's official flip shell - is it worth the $30?

Tip us?

pisherthefisher
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 331
Default Motorola's official flip shell - is it worth the $30?

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...or-Moto-G.html

What's your opinion on them? Worth the money for a quality shell/flip cover combo?

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

wolfen69
Old
Thanks Meter 121
It's not worth it to me. For $30 I can get a heavy duty Otterbox or something that will actually protect it. Plus I don't like the idea of having to open the case to use it.

enrique097
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Default I think it is

look at this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2571563
I made a quick video in the last post with my impressions hope it helps you to decide

lostwong
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default My reasons for wanting a flip shell

Disclaimer: I've ordered but still haven't received my phone or flip shell yet...

... but I opted for the $30USD flip shell because:

I wanted a way of covering the screen when it's in my pocket but I didn't want a screen protector.

I like the form factor of the phone and I want to be able to show it off.

It's gotten decent to good reviews from everything I've seen and read online.

The fact that it turns on/off by just opening/closing the shell is a nice novelty.

NOTE: I wasn't terribly happy with the screen protector on my last android phone (HTC Incredible S). It worked, did it's job, but I always wondered if the touch experience would've been better without the protector on the front. I also have an android tablet that doesn't have a screen protector and it hasn't gotten a scratch on the front in two years (even with the lack of care it goes through).

Hope this helps...
The Following User Says Thank You to lostwong For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tameablecarrot
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisherthefisher View Post
http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...or-Moto-G.html

What's your opinion on them? Worth the money for a quality shell/flip cover combo?

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk
I have one in dark blue, when I bought the phone it was pretty much this or an otterbox. Like the poster above said, it's nice flipping it open and the screen turning off and on, no need to use the power button except when booting into recovery.

dt33
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tameablecarrot View Post
I have one in dark blue, when I bought the phone it was pretty much this or an otterbox. Like the poster above said, it's nice flipping it open and the screen turning off and on, no need to use the power button except when booting into recovery.
How do flip shell works to turn screen on/off by flipping? Since I cant see any about this feature in the settings and just a german review that flip shell have some magnet in it?

ryan92084
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt33 View Post
How do flip shell works to turn screen on/off by flipping? Since I cant see any about this feature in the settings and just a german review that flip shell have some magnet in it?
That's exactly how it works, by magnet. It's also held closed by the same magnet.

As for the case it definitely gives a nice grippy/rubbery diamond texture and it being literally part of the phone gives the whole thing a nice look/feel. It's my wife's phone and i feel it'll aid in surviving the rigors of purse living. Depending on how the phone falls it should give passable drop protection with the front right edge bring the obvious weak point. She is quite happy with it and, despite initial sticker shock, hasn't regretted the purchase.

I do feel the hinge area could use some work as my wife's doesn't crease evenly along the length (not a big deal just cheapens the impression). Life span of the rubbery "hinge" is also a question. The way the edges of the flap come to a pointed crease rather than being more flush with the phone seems poorly executed to me. I've never had a case of the same style to compare it to unfortunately.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryan92084 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]