XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Really Desperate in Fixing my Nexus 7

Tip us?

Azure Dragon
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Question [Q] Really Desperate in Fixing my Nexus 7

Okay so, this story is going to be really long and somewhat complicated. I'm hoping that someone kind enough will really read the whole story and shed light in the situation.

It all started when I was holding my MicroUSB cable and it hit a (moving) fan. I immediately got it out though it had some scratches. I went to check if it's still working, and it is. Later on, about a few weeks after, I noticed that my Nexus 7 is no longer charging. I tried adjusting it & positioning the cable and the tablet so it will charge, and fortunately it worked. A few more charges and it stopped working. I tried all of the outlets and extension cords in our house, yet it still doesn't work. My Nexus was running low on battery so I had to switch it off. Then I tried charging it with the USB ports on my PC. It worked for a week.

It stopped working, and I was really desperate in trying to make it work cause my tablet is running out of juice and I don't want it to be dead. I immediately bought a Samsung charger in a local store. It's output power is 4.75V and 0.4A. I tried charging with it and gosh, it worked. I settled using this low-output charger because I really could not find a new microUSB cable in here or a microUSB charger. It takes centuries to charge my Nexus completely, but I had to bear with it cause it's the only one I can use. I used it for a month or so.

Until then, I was pretty much contented with it. However, I noticed that it's not charging again. Like, it's been 2 hours and the battery hasn't moved up at least a percent up. I was scared because the battery only has 10% left, and I don't know what to do. I immediately shut it down and tried to think of something. I thought of buying a microUSB cable from eBay since I had extra money on PayPal (it cost me about $4) with free shipping. Of course, it came a month and two weeks after I bought it, what do you expect from free shipping?

I immediately plugged the microUSB into my charging port, and I panicked because it didn't work. The charging indicator didn't appear like usual, so I was really crazy, wanting to do something about it. I tried opening it and I think this is where the trouble came. I used a bread knife in opening the rear of the tablet. I tried pushing some stuff near the battery in, to check if they're compact and working. I put the cover back to the tablet and tried charging again. Nope, nothing yet.

I was up until 2AM and then I saw my tablet booting up. I became really happy then. I quickly did what the websites are telling me to, press power and then volume down, bootloader and then power off. I slept and let it charge overnight. I woke up around 12PM. The first thing that I did was to check my tablet. It was charged but not full. I was pretty happy, because you know, the feels. lol.

But anyways, that microusb cable only worked for a day. I was mad when I used my tablet and then when I went to charge it, the battery wasn't moving up again. I was worried, desperate and deeply sad inside at the same time, for my tablet has a real sentimental value to me. It's always like that, I mean, I've bought like $50 worth of microusb chargers, they all work in the start, but a day or so they stop working.

Finally, I've decided to make the decision of bringing it to a mobile technician. ASUS service centers here in the Philippines are crap, they don't work on tablets. I'm gonna cut it short, he replaced my battery (with an improvised battery composed of 3x phone-size batteries), but the thingy with colored wires that you plug into the motherboard is still the same. He also replaced my charging port. He reinstalled the OS and all that good stuff, but my files were saved. Thank God.

I went home and tried some of my latest chargers. A microusb cable with the original adapter worked for a while, but it never completed charging fully. A microUSB charger from DealExtreme with an individual adapter (5V, 2A) also worked, and it's the one that I'm using right now, but it's kinda weird that it never went up 38%. And take note that it took me 6 hours to climb up from 22% to 38%. The reason why I posted all of this is that it's not charging again, and I feel like I've wasted money on replacing parts that didn't really work at all. Or maybe they malfunctioned again because of my chargers? I'm really going crazy right now, I actually have no idea what's going on in my tablet.

Also, the battery is supposed to have 4325mAh capacity right? Why is mine only 3260mAh? I've noticed this before my batteries were replaced (when I was struggling on trying to make the microusb cable work). Since the battery and charging port has been replaced, what else do I need to do? I mean, I'm really freaking desperate right now. I don't know how it will ever be able to charge properly again. Maybe with a charging dock? Man, that costs $60+, excluding shipping. And I'm not even sure if it will work.

I want to buy the Nexus 7 2013 but I really don't have any money right now to spend on buying one, and besides I'd like to have my Nexus 7 2012 fixed first. So please help me out guys, tell me how I can fix this thing.

My ideas right now :

1. Buy an original microUSB cable from Asus (if possible), or probably including the adapter.
2. Buy a charging dock. But it's so expensive.
3. Check if there's some more broken stuff in the battery. This one was taken from the old battery, so it might be the one causing the malfunction.

Please help me, I'm begging you all.

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2343
Being you're in the Philippines I can't attest to cost, but I recently purchased a pogo dock for 18$ with shipping on eBay through newegg. It may be worth a look
But I would highly consider an oem battery, did the tech allow you to keep your old one? I don't think it had any issues just you needed to resolder in the micro USB port, which you did
And finally, I bought the 2013 nexus7 for myself and gave the 2012 one and dock to my mother, figured a great first tablet for her and an excuse to get me a new one, in truth the upgrade is not drastic, the 2013 is nice but it is not that much better so you aren't missing out.
So my advice, skip 2013, try to get oem battery and pogo dock

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DQEight
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Throughout all this did you ever try backing your files up to a PC and then factory resetting?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Azure Dragon
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Thanks for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
Being you're in the Philippines I can't attest to cost, but I recently purchased a pogo dock for 18$ with shipping on eBay through newegg. It may be worth a look
But I would highly consider an oem battery, did the tech allow you to keep your old one? I don't think it had any issues just you needed to resolder in the micro USB port, which you did
And finally, I bought the 2013 nexus7 for myself and gave the 2012 one and dock to my mother, figured a great first tablet for her and an excuse to get me a new one, in truth the upgrade is not drastic, the 2013 is nice but it is not that much better so you aren't missing out.
So my advice, skip 2013, try to get oem battery and pogo dock

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Hmm.. things seemed to be fine until now, that it wouldn't charge again. I am using the microUSB cable from the charger which I had bought on DealExtreme. I installed Battery Monitor Widget to check things out, and the maximum charging it had was only around ~400mA which is pretty bad for a 2A adapter (the OEM). I'll try checking the pogo dock although I don't really have any money right now.
The technician gave me the old battery, and had that thingy which you plug into the mobo removed. How exactly do you resolder this microUSB port? It seems to me that nobody knows how to do that here, lol.
Hmm..what about the sharpness of the screen in 2nd gen? I know I'm crazy for asking for more but I wanted it because I want a tablet that can outdo the iPad mini in every aspect. What about the new processing power and all that good stuff? You mean it didn't really bring any great difference? What about KitKat, is it good? I'm using SmoothRom v5.3 and it's still on 4.2, so yeah I haven't used 4.3 nor 4.4. yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQEight View Post
Throughout all this did you ever try backing your files up to a PC and then factory resetting?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
I don't know how to backup my files on PC, I did it on TiBu though. Yes, I think I've done that twice or thrice already (updating my custom rom).

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2343
Let me put it this way, the only improvement i care about has been the speakers. Sure it has a better screen and more processing power and a 5$ camera slapped on the back, but the 2012 is an awesome, capable device and depending how you use your tab you wont see too many differences, at least for me.
Oh and inductive charging is awesome because you can keep a case on it
Anyone familiar with fine soldering can do it, if they have to ask dont let them touch it
As for kitkat, its fine, but will be the same on 2012, remember the 2013 will probably only get one major android version then the 2012 but being a nexus youll always get the same amount of custom roms for years
So if you want the absolute best, 2013 hands down. If you want something hardly noticeably weaker stick with the 2012 for $100 less

Sent from my SGH-T699 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Azure Dragon
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
Let me put it this way, the only improvement i care about has been the speakers. Sure it has a better screen and more processing power and a 5$ camera slapped on the back, but the 2012 is an awesome, capable device and depending how you use your tab you wont see too many differences, at least for me.
Oh and inductive charging is awesome because you can keep a case on it
Anyone familiar with fine soldering can do it, if they have to ask dont let them touch it
As for kitkat, its fine, but will be the same on 2012, remember the 2013 will probably only get one major android version then the 2012 but being a nexus youll always get the same amount of custom roms for years
So if you want the absolute best, 2013 hands down. If you want something hardly noticeably weaker stick with the 2012 for $100 less

Sent from my SGH-T699 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Alright, thank you for replying.
I'm sticking to the decision of buying a pogo dock. You know why? Well, it was all working again, but this time we went on a vacation. I plugged the charger on an old extension cord in my aunt's house. I let it stay there for a couple of minutes, then I checked back later, noticing that it has gone DOWN by 2% (well, it was only 14% back then so every single percent matters) and I immediately plugged it out and tried other outlets/extension cords.

Nope, it wouldn't charge anymore. Nothing works now, repositioning, replugging, all of those -- nope, not working. I just lost faith & hope in it so I just put it in my bag WITH THE MICROUSB CABLE STILL ATTACHED (okay, I'm crazy T_T) and it was there for 2 days, then our trip to home, then we're finally home. Goddammit, I realized that the microusb cable was still attached to the charging port and now it's all bent. I tried bending it to position, I mean to correct it but the plug itself got detached, so basically I wouldn't be able to charge using microusb again.

Do you think that buying a pogo dock can solve all of this? Well, considering that the battery was replaced with 3x 1600mAh batteries, will it charge the same way like before (~2000mA)? If not, at least probably faster because it's charging via pogo pins now?