XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Need some constructive advice.

Tip us?

nyjumpman
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajj915 View Post
I might get torn apart for bringing this up so go easy on me. I have had my Note 3 for about 2 months. I thought I would get used to the size but I haven't. It's just too big for me for everyday use. So here is my question. I am with Verizon...for the next ~2 yrs. I need advice on which phone on big red is better. I don't argue that the N3 is a great phone. I'm sure many of you have used/tried other phones. Between the S4, One, Moto X and G2. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app
I like the g2 but it needs to be running a custom rom, cannot stand lg 's changes

I came from an s3 so the leap to the s4 isn't big enough for me

Love the construction of the one but seems like old news

It's hard to believe I'm saying this but go with the moto x. It feels a lot smaller in hand while still having a decent screen size. The specs are admittedly mid tier but every review I've read seems to indicate the experience transcends the specs. Super cheap right now too (even off contract), only $50 more than the n5

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

oneandroidnut
Old
Thanks Meter 320
do not i repeat DO NOT buy moto x. screen is awful!!! if you care about screen at all dont buy. htc one hands down. i personally dont think at that size point there is anything better. of course g2 has better specs but feels like crap in hand to me and those funky buttons on the back....pass. Htc one gets my vote that is why i am currently using htc one max over note 3 right now. feels better and ui and software is buttery smooth
Currents:
HTC ONE M8 S-Off
Galaxy Note 3 Developer Edition Hyperdrive RLS 7 Lean Kernel v1.12
Droid X
Sold:
HTC One Max, HTC One, Nexus 7 Flo 32 GB, Google Chromecast, Galaxy S4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Tab 7.0, HTC DNA, HTC Rezound, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Incredible, Xoom 32 GB, Droid Bionic, Droid 2 Global, Droid X2, Droid X

Redjax
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajj915 View Post
I might get torn apart for bringing this up so go easy on me. I have had my Note 3 for about 2 months. I thought I would get used to the size but I haven't. It's just too big for me for everyday use. So here is my question. I am with Verizon...for the next ~2 yrs. I need advice on which phone on big red is better. I don't argue that the N3 is a great phone. I'm sure many of you have used/tried other phones. Between the S4, One, Moto X and G2. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Hey AJ! I'm going to tell you a quick story before answering your question, so if you just want the answer in my opinion, I'll answer it in the last sentence.

I upgraded from a Razr MAXX to the Note 3, switched to an iPhone for 5 days (hated it more than I expected to, I went in with an open mind), and came back to the Note. It was simply too big for me. I'm left handed, and it's a major pain to try and hit the back key when using it left handed, so I downloaded an Assistive Touch app similar to the one found on iPhone, but having a blob float around the screen just to hit back was also not a reasonable fix for me. I bought a Moto X for Christmas and used it for 3 weeks. I absolutely adored that phone, but the battery life just wasn't enough for me (it's great battery, but so far the Note 3 is the only one comparable to my old Razr). The features on the phone were amazing, and for its specs, performance was unbelievable; in fact, I really shouldn't even say "for its specs," because the phone was SERIOUSLY fast, very, very smooth, and all around a joy to use. I loved the phone, but decided to switch back to the Note because development for that phone is just not moving, and probably won't for a while because of how locked down it is.

Anyway, after coming back to the Note, I was searching through Xposed, and found the Gravity Box (GB) app. My issue with the Note 3's buttons being too hard to reach is remedied by the ability to set button actions through GB. There's an option to set a double tap action! So now when I double tap menu, it acts as the back key, and vice-versa for the back key. That completely fixed my issue, because now I can use the phone 1-handed, and it's perfect for me again.

So, TL;DR: Of all the phones you're looking to switch to, I can personally recommend the Moto X, if you don't mind that there is not much development, and not much prospective development either. But, if you want to stay with the Note, you can remedy some of the issues you have with the "too-big" screen with Xposed and a couple apps like Gravity Box, or an Assistive Touch app.

Hope that helps!

Ajj915
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Thanks for the input guys. I think I am leaning towards the G2. So I can turn it into a Verizon Nexus 5. With a better camera.