XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just curious about GPS and AOSP

Tip us?

morrowa2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Default Just curious about GPS and AOSP

Hello, my name is Andy, and I'm a flashaholic...

Been unlocking my phones and flashing ROMs since my xv6800 (HTC titan). Recently activated my One, even managed to get fastboot and adb working on my windows 8.1 laptop, got s-off, and thought I was pretty clever... I flashed my favorite ROM (liquid smooth, the unofficial one). Thought everything was great until I found that my GPS wouldn't even fix on one satellite. Luckily, I remembered the old trick of flashing a Sense ROM, getting a GPS fix, then restoring a backup of the AOSP ROM. Worked like a charm... Instant lock on 11+ satellites.

So my question is: why does this work? Not an urgent question, and it's no sweat off my back if the only responses I get are immature flaming of an experienced flasher with an innocent question. Can anyone who is more android savvy shed some light on this?

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app

Crawshayi
Old
Thanks Meter 285
My only guess would be that the Sense roms use a driver written specifically for the gps chip they use and so it'll work like it's supposed to, whereas aosp roms use a general or universal driver and therefore won't work too well with every chip out there. I'm in no way an expert, but that would be my guess. Kinda like how to get the most out of the camera you need to be using a Sense rom since it's custom tailored for the One's camera.
Verizon HTC One
rom/NuSenseSIX
kernel/ElementalX