5,600,483 Members 32,712 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[kernel][Revisited] Rage kernel v2.7 for CM7.2 sk17i (mango)

Tip us?

Throbin Wood
Old
(Last edited by Throbin Wood; 4th January 2014 at 07:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Default [kernel][Revisited] Rage kernel v2.7 for CM7.2 sk17i (mango)

Rage Kernel was originally developed by DuMOHsmol
greenAlgae recompiled it to run on FXP CM7.2.0
Here’s the original thread (KERNEL)(Mini/MiniPro/Active/LwW) Rage Kernel v2.7 / v2.8 / v2.9 for FXP CM7.2.0 ROM
Downloads are on post 8

greenAlgae's thread was closed on the 7th June 2012
Quote:
I have sent a request to our Mod to close this thread. I have switched to cm9 and I don't think I can properly maintain this kernel and thread any longer
I made this thread because I use CM7 and would like to see if I can continue DuMOHsmol's &
greenAlgae's work to improve this kernel for myself ill post my progress here should anyone be interested

But as always use it at your own risk

I have used greenAlgae's 2.7 version for several months
It works well for me with the stable cm-7.2.0-mango.zip available on the cyanogenmod website

Iv been using the smothass governor and have noticed massive improvements to battery life with only the occasional “screen on lag”

CPU Governors explained by deedii

Quote:
14: Smoothass:
The same as the Smartass “governor” But MUCH more aggressive & across the board this one has a better battery life that is about a third better than stock KERNEL
Quote:
Smoothass
A more aggressive version of Smartass that is very quick to ramp up and down, and keeps the idle/asleep maximum frequency even lower.
Pro: Theoretically better battery life than Smartass.
Con: Same as Smartass & Interactive (the CPU will slowly ramp down after it is no longer needed (compared to its ramping-up speed). Might also go too low when asleep (an issue with other governor when a Sleep profile is used in apps such as SetCPU), causing the device to malfunction. Most common example is the screen not powering on when the power button is pressed or the phone begins ringing. Might also effect apps running in the background while sleeping.)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Throbin Wood For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Throbin Wood
Old
(Last edited by Throbin Wood; 4th January 2014 at 07:28 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
The fist thing I wanted to change was the bootsplash

Following This Guide I was able to change it in less than 5 minuets. I used this wallpaper and some photoshop magic.

> > >

Image 1: original bootsplash
Image 2: Image I wanted to use
Image 3: Was very large file size, took forever to boot & looked a funny green/brown colour on the phone
image 4: This was the smallest I could get the png without it distorting to much. (I used a mixture of tools found Here) But it still took forever to boot

Then I read up on Run-length encoding
Realized what I was doing wrong and made this one.

It boots in a flash (looks better on the phone)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Throbin Wood For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gamer.11
Old
Thanks Meter 19
nice work mate!!
ping

Throbin Wood
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Thanks wasn't expecting anyone to be interested lol

Iv uploaded the boot image

Next id like to update CWM.... I found a file named recovery... but I cant see it being as simple as replacing that one file lol

Can anyone point me in the right direction?