Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,386 Members 51,415 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Original Surface Pro - Few Questions

Tip us?

docfreed
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 140
Default [Q] Original Surface Pro - Few Questions

Pricing for the original Surface Pro is very good now ($429 for a 64 GB with Original Touch Cover. I'm wondering if the 8.1 upgrade fixed some of the original issues, in particular the short battery life.

Anyone have some experience or can shed some light on this? IMHO, $429 for a such a piece of stellar hardware is very attractive.

SammiSaysHello
Old
XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter 1562
Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreed View Post
Pricing for the original Surface Pro is very good now ($429 for a 64 GB with Original Touch Cover. I'm wondering if the 8.1 upgrade fixed some of the original issues, in particular the short battery life.

Anyone have some experience or can shed some light on this? IMHO, $429 for a such a piece of stellar hardware is very attractive.
The battery life isn't fixed because the issue spawns from the lacklustre 3rd gen i5 CPU the SP1 has. If you wouldn't mind having your SP1 sitting close to a charger all day, definitely go for it
Want your work on the XDA Portal? Msg me

SixSixSevenSeven
Old
Thanks Meter 323
The power cover coming out may nullify the battery issue (or it may not).

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2677
8.1 will slightly improve the battery life (software optimizations), but not much. The Power Cover should add about 1.5-2 hours from what I've heard, which makes the original Pro + Power Cover competitive with the Pro2 (sans cover).
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.