XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] witch carriers will be supported and carrier availability

Tip us?

skcitzo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] witch carriers will be supported and carrier availability

I've been looking into buying a new phone and the oppo n1 is at the top of my list but one thing is that I have not a clue witch carriers will be supported and if eventually be able to get it from Verizon (although I highly doubt it Verizon is kind of stingy with anything to do with developing anything out of there control).
Sent from my DROID DNA running cm 11 4.4.2 antutu Benchmarked at 22,852

refinition
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I'm pretty sure the N1 is a GSM phone, don't quote me on that though

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I'm using a:

The Following User Says Thank You to refinition For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Harfainx
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 546
You are correct. The Oppo N1 is a GSM phone.

Sprint and Verizon are out for carriers. We could see AT&T or T-Mo carrying the phone, but don't get your hopes up. Oppo as a whole is still pretty unknown in the US.

My N1 has been running on StraightTalk using an AT&T SIM since the middle of November. I haven't had any issues so far with it, and I get unlimited for $45/month.

Remember though that there is no 4G on this phone. It can use up to HSDPA and HSPA+.
team d3rp

ArchosFans Forum
Archos Gamepad OUYA Nexus 10 Nexus 7 (2013)
Oppo N1 HTC One (Sprint) Samsung Galaxy S4 (Sprint)

Recycled phones: HTC EVO 4G LTE, SGS3, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, HTC Touch Pro 2, LG Rumor 2, + Older
Recycled Tablets: Nexus 7 (2012), Archos G9 101, Archos G8 101, Archos 9 PC, Archos 5 (Android)

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23429

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harfainx View Post

Sprint and Verizon are out for carriers. We could see AT&T or T-Mo carrying the phone, but don't get your hopes up. Oppo as a whole is still pretty unknown in the US.

My N1 has been running on StraightTalk using an AT&T SIM since the middle of November. I haven't had any issues so far with it, and I get unlimited for $45/month.

Remember though that there is no 4G on this phone. It can use up to HSDPA and HSPA+.
HSPA+ is no slouch though... It's fast enough that AT&T and T-Mobile both called it "4G" for over a year.

If you go back to the original definition of 4G, not even North American LTE networks meet those original criteria.

In many places (such as the Binghamton, NY area), AT&T's backhaul (connection between the towers and the outside Internet) is so poor that you won't see any actual bandwidth difference between HSPA+ and LTE because the backhaul is the bottleneck - maybe a little bit of latency improvement but nothing major.

The difference between HSPA+ and LTE is nowhere near as major as the difference between CDMA2000 and LTE is.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

Harfainx
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
HSPA+ is no slouch though... It's fast enough that AT&T and T-Mobile both called it "4G" for over a year.
At this point though, that is irrelevant. The phone is listed as 3G, so I'm just informing people that it is not "4G" as 4G/LTE is labeled by US carriers. Regardless of the speeds, network, backbone speeds, etc... The phone is 3G. I don't want to get people confused over the information about what HSPA+ is or isn't. There are a lot of people that only see 3G or 4G/LTE.
team d3rp

ArchosFans Forum
Archos Gamepad OUYA Nexus 10 Nexus 7 (2013)
Oppo N1 HTC One (Sprint) Samsung Galaxy S4 (Sprint)

Recycled phones: HTC EVO 4G LTE, SGS3, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, HTC Touch Pro 2, LG Rumor 2, + Older
Recycled Tablets: Nexus 7 (2012), Archos G9 101, Archos G8 101, Archos 9 PC, Archos 5 (Android)

trook
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:

why would they not install LTE radios?DERP I wist they will on the next release because the phone itself is sexy..mmm.

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

Quote:
At this point though, that is irrelevant. The phone is listed as 3G, so I'm just informing people that it is not "4G" as 4G/LTE is labeled by US carriers. Regardless of the speeds, network, backbone speeds, etc... The phone is 3G. I don't want to get people confused over the information about what HSPA+ is or isn't. There are a lot of people that only see 3G or 4G/LTE.
This is true, I work for Verizon but but I used to work for tmob and att and hspa+ is no joke. in some places its faster than aws.
Hash for President

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 23429

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trook View Post
why would they not install LTE radios?DERP I wist they will on the next release because the phone itself is sexy..mmm.

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

This is true, I work for Verizon but but I used to work for tmob and att and hspa+ is no joke. in some places its faster than aws.
Why not?
You can cover the world with only 5 HSPA bands. You can still fail to support the whole world with 7-9 LTE bands.

LTE is too fragmented for a low-volume manufacturer.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]