5,593,248 Members 32,845 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] About to buy a VZW Note 3 ... any recommendations?

Tip us?

bftb0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 774
Default [Q] About to buy a VZW Note 3 ... any recommendations?

My lame 4 year old Android finally died (well, actually more like the touch screen went epileptic), and I'm going to pick up a Note 3 from a VZW store in a couple hours.

(Even more insane, I'm going to drop my month-to-month unlimited data plan for the carrier subsidy and re-up with BigRed for 2 years - but that's a topic for another time)

Anyway, what I wanted to ask was this: is there any reason that I should insist that the VZW rep just leave the phone in the box rather than activating it in the store (and risking an OTA update)?

I'm comfortable doing the activation later if there is a credible reason to take the phone home and check it's bootloader version info before I boot it normally for the first time. (I suspect that the Note 3 inventories are moving at a good clip, so a unit bought from a VZW store might have recent firmware anyway).

Apologies for the lame question; I had 4 candidate phones in mind (Sammy S4, LG G2, HTC One) and didn't have much time to become an expert in the current state of affairs about rooting all of them... other than to note that Samsung has recently become much more restrictive in the past couple of months (e.g. with the S4/Knox stuff).

tia
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."

Harleydroid
Old
Thanks Meter 323
The most current version is MJE. Which you can root with Kingo app. MI9 was what the phone had when it first came out. Which was rooted by designgears with de la vega. Then mJ7 was released and we had to use Kingo. So since the second update everyone has had to use kingo.
So if you want to root that's what your going to have to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harleydroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lightyear25
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0 View Post
My lame 4 year old Android finally died (well, actually more like the touch screen went epileptic), and I'm going to pick up a Note 3 from a VZW store in a couple hours.

(Even more insane, I'm going to drop my month-to-month unlimited data plan for the carrier subsidy and re-up with BigRed for 2 years - but that's a topic for another time)

Anyway, what I wanted to ask was this: is there any reason that I should insist that the VZW rep just leave the phone in the box rather than activating it in the store (and risking an OTA update)?

I'm comfortable doing the activation later if there is a credible reason to take the phone home and check it's bootloader version info before I boot it normally for the first time. (I suspect that the Note 3 inventories are moving at a good clip, so a unit bought from a VZW store might have recent firmware anyway).

Apologies for the lame question; I had 4 candidate phones in mind (Sammy S4, LG G2, HTC One) and didn't have much time to become an expert in the current state of affairs about rooting all of them... other than to note that Samsung has recently become much more restrictive in the past couple of months (e.g. with the S4/Knox stuff).

tia

My reccomendation is this 1. Stay far away from the Smartwatch they will try and sell you 2. Ignore their offered Insurion Warantee, and go with Square Trade (Just Google it)

No issues with rooting and custom ROM's are doable. Gopher it man!
FKA - Shenkoa

Samsung Galaxy Note lll (TMOB)
ROM - Deodexed and Rooted Stock 4.4.2
Kernel - Stock
Recovery - TWRP V2.7.0.0

Retired - Verizon Galaxy Note III (VRZ), Samsung Galaxy S4 (VRZ), Samsung Galaxy Note ll (VRZ), Samsung Galaxy S3 (TMOB), Google Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus (TMOB), HTC Sensation 4G (TMOB), Samsung Vibrant (TMOB), Apple iPad, Apple iPhone 3GS (TMOB), BlackBerry Pearl Flip (TMOB), Palm Treo 700 (TMOB)

jack584
Old
Thanks Meter 3
If it's not too late, get the 6 GB plan for $30 instead of the 2 GB for $30 they will try to out you on. If you do not do it at the time you buy the phone there is no other way to get it. If you already have the 2 GB plan it is impossible to get onto the 6 GB one.

The only way you can get it is when you are upgrading and loosing unlimited. The system will not let you get the plan if you are not about to loose unlimited.

Here's a more detailed thread on Howard forums: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...63-6-GB-for-30

bftb0
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 774
@jack584

Thanks. I gave it a bit of thought; the other alternative to the Max 6GB plan is a 2 GB "loyalty" data plan for $60/mo. Someone coming off of a month-to-month unlimited plan has 14 days to waffle about their decision.

Phone is rooted. (Kingo + safestrap + SuperSU replace)

For grins (post-rooting), I started the OTA and let it download (phone came out if the box with MJ7). When the download finished, I pulled the OTA file out of /cache/fota/ and then "took" the OTA. Naturally it failed I guess I'll see if I get nags now...
"I'm gonna start coding placebo apps. That way I will be sure that the complaints are real and the praises hollow."