So a little more information...
1. I'm just trying to cast a tab in general. Nothing fancy. For instance a site with a recipe. Did the auto resize thing & nothing. The laptop is old, but not old enough to not handle the tab. It also has 8 of RAM.
2. The laptop is connected to wifi. 2.4 GHz.
3. The firewall on Win 7 was off, & nothing is running firewall wise with the anti-virus program.
4. Guest access isn't on.
5. My brothers Mac Book is connected identically to the network as is the Win 7 laptop. Both wirelessly. All he did was launch Chrome, install the extension & off he went. Had facebook up, YouTube, pictures, etc.
6. Tested an iPhone, as well as my Nexus 7 & had no issues getting Pandora to work, YouTube, etc.
I haven't had time to try all of the networking stuff mentioned as I am not over there, but seeing how every other wireless device is working, I don't see it being anything network related aside from a setting on the laptop that is related to Windows somehow. It shouldn't be that complicated.
I hate to return the Chromecast, but I bought it for my parents to use with the laptop. If that can't work, it's pretty much useless.
I will try my laptop which is running Win 7 when I go over there on Saturday, but if that works, the only thing would be a setting. Even if CPU was an issue, which it isn't, I can't see it not mirroring a simple site with text & pictures. Heck, even the Google start page with the word Google.
Tmo Moto X 4.4 Xposed