5,594,653 Members 33,365 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chrome+Chromecast & Tab Casting is a no go.

Tip us?

quickstang
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 288
Default Chrome+Chromecast & Tab Casting is a no go.

So I don't know if anyone can point me in the right direction, but I just installed the Chromecast for my parents, have it working on my tablet, phone, brothers MAC with 0 issues, but when I try to cast a tab, the TV screen goes black, for a few seconds, then the Google Cast extension goes red with the x telling my to try to cast again or check network settings.

I'm using a Win 7 OS, latest Chrome, turned the firewall off to test, Anti-Virus, reinstalled the extension, the browser, ran as admin, changed compatibility mode in Chrome properties & still absolutely NOTHING.

My brother added the extension to the MAC, & everything mirrored right away from every tab he sent.

Is there something I need to be looking for as to why this isn't working? I've searched high & low for troubleshooting, but decided someone here may have experienced the same issue. The Chromecast is updated as well. This should have been a simple install the extension in Chrome & go, but is turning out to be a headache.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tmo Moto X 4.4 Xposed

kevev
Old
Thanks Meter 218
Update/reinstall chrome. Disable every extension, clear browser cache and reboot computer. Good luck & Merry Christmas.

Sent from my C6606.

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Make sure your not Filtering Multicast in your Router, UPNP is enabled, AP Isolation is off, Disable the firewall on the router and see if it works...

quickstang
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Make sure your not Filtering Multicast in your Router, UPNP is enabled, AP Isolation is off, Disable the firewall on the router and see if it works...
Will try this. The post above yours was already done along with everything else posted earlier I mentioned & didn't work.

Hopefully your solution will work. Pretty odd the MAC just worked. If anything I was expecting that computer to have issues.

Sent from my Moto X
Tmo Moto X 4.4 Xposed

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstang View Post
Will try this. The post above yours was already done along with everything else posted earlier I mentioned & didn't work.

Hopefully your solution will work. Pretty odd the MAC just worked. If anything I was expecting that computer to have issues.
What are the specs of the Win 7 computer?

Also, enable the Cast Extension's option to automatically resize the browser tab - that'll reduce the CPU requirement, if it's a CPU speed issue.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 207
Quote:

Sent from my Moto X
OK sorry I thought you were having that problem on all not just the PC....

You say you shut off the firewall but in most cases there are two in Windows...The one that comes with your AntiVirus/Security Suite and Windows Firewall.

If you got both of them off and still nothing....
How is the PC connecting to the router compared to the other devices?
Is the PC wired while the others are Wireless? (I know the Androids are Wireless)

If you have a router that has Guest Access and use that for your PC many ports will be blocked as well.

Also what file are you trying to cast? Can you cast that same file or Tab from the other devices successfully?

What is it your trying to cast and from where?

In the end your probably right it is isolated at the PC side but that also makes it much harder to troubleshoot since we don't know what is running on your PC that could interfere.

quickstang
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 288
So a little more information...

1. I'm just trying to cast a tab in general. Nothing fancy. For instance a site with a recipe. Did the auto resize thing & nothing. The laptop is old, but not old enough to not handle the tab. It also has 8 of RAM.

2. The laptop is connected to wifi. 2.4 GHz.

3. The firewall on Win 7 was off, & nothing is running firewall wise with the anti-virus program.

4. Guest access isn't on.

5. My brothers Mac Book is connected identically to the network as is the Win 7 laptop. Both wirelessly. All he did was launch Chrome, install the extension & off he went. Had facebook up, YouTube, pictures, etc.

6. Tested an iPhone, as well as my Nexus 7 & had no issues getting Pandora to work, YouTube, etc.

I haven't had time to try all of the networking stuff mentioned as I am not over there, but seeing how every other wireless device is working, I don't see it being anything network related aside from a setting on the laptop that is related to Windows somehow. It shouldn't be that complicated.
I hate to return the Chromecast, but I bought it for my parents to use with the laptop. If that can't work, it's pretty much useless.

I will try my laptop which is running Win 7 when I go over there on Saturday, but if that works, the only thing would be a setting. Even if CPU was an issue, which it isn't, I can't see it not mirroring a simple site with text & pictures. Heck, even the Google start page with the word Google.
Tmo Moto X 4.4 Xposed

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
First thing to check is what setting the network its set to (Unknown, Public, Home, Work) - only the latter two will work as the former two block lots of ports.
After that, try Resetting the Windows Firewall config - I've seen cases where it can interfere with things even when turned off. (Insert WTF)
After that, check for any network filters, like those installed by some combo antivirus/firewall packages, and any VPN filters.

You could also try booting Windows in Safe Mode to see if that makes a difference.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

quickstang
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 288
Safe mode works, but that's it. Another laptop was tested running Windows 7 & no issues there. It's also less powerful & older than the one that doesn't work.

It appears to be just the one laptop. I also updated all wireless drivers & that didn't help. The sad thing is, is that the laptop trying to be used was wiped & set up from scratch. So there really isn't a lot of garbage on it. Windows, your general programs & updates & that's it.

Sent from my Moto X
Tmo Moto X 4.4 Xposed

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
The sad thing is, is that the laptop trying to be used was wiped & set up from scratch. So there really isn't a lot of garbage on it. Windows, your general programs & updates & that's it.
Someone mentioned needing to enable the Portable Media device or Wireless Media device (I can remember exact wording) firewall option. Not sure if that's Windows 8 specific or not.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.