Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,327 Members 44,807 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unable to root but food for thought.

Tip us?

maxjivi05
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 134

DONATE TO ME
Default Unable to root but food for thought.

Okay, I messed up and mis-spelled eureka-image while rooting and didn't pay attention and let the device update after I rebooted it after a couple hours of being gone then I was stuck in google locked down build.

Well this got me thinking if we can't root can we make "Chromecast" believe we are using Google Movies when in fact it is a 3rd party app?
Wouldn't we just need to find the string that communicates that the 3rd party app is Google Movies, or Pandora or any of the Official Apps?

I could be wrong but I think there is away to make it work but it'll have to be built in the 3rd party's app.

Thoughts?

Kyonz
Old
Thanks Meter 241

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjivi05 View Post
Okay, I messed up and mis-spelled eureka-image while rooting and didn't pay attention and let the device update after I rebooted it after a couple hours of being gone then I was stuck in google locked down build.

Well this got me thinking if we can't root can we make "Chromecast" believe we are using Google Movies when in fact it is a 3rd party app?
Wouldn't we just need to find the string that communicates that the 3rd party app is Google Movies, or Pandora or any of the Official Apps?

I could be wrong but I think there is away to make it work but it'll have to be built in the 3rd party's app.

Thoughts?
The Chromecast utilises a whitelisting type file in which applications that it will respond to is presented, unfortunately if it isn't aware of an application it wont show up in the list for that device (due to the dial protocol).

We can't man in the middle non rooted devices as the whitelist received is provided through https and therefore is not easily attacked (trust me I've spent more than enough hours trying).

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 811

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjivi05 View Post

Thoughts?
I had thought about this just before KyoCast appeared, but I'm pretty sure it would be against the DIAL registry's registration and/or Cast SDK's license for an app to impersonate another app. I still like the concept though.

Actually, even if an app used another app's DIAL ID, the whitelist would still point the Chromecast-side app to the real app, (ie, phone might run SneakyApp by Chromecast would still launch its Google Movies app), I think.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

maxjivi05
Old
(Last edited by maxjivi05; 4th January 2014 at 01:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 134

DONATE TO ME
Man this is awful they went through all this effort to limit users :/

Okay, now I know all the apps require to be pulled up differently on Chromecast but what about if we mimic "Casting Tab" which I believe is driven by the host computer and Chromecast is only listening and displaying what it see's. I'm sure it's secured with HTTPS too but HTTPs isn't that secure but you'd probably need a certificate if they are authenticating but if not it would be as easy as sniffing a handshake and injecting that packet then utilizing that connection. Sorry I'm thinking outside the box! lol

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Asphyx
Old
Thanks Meter 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
I had thought about this just before KyoCast appeared, but I'm pretty sure it would be against the DIAL registry's registration and/or Cast SDK's license for an app to impersonate another app. I still like the concept though.

Actually, even if an app used another app's DIAL ID, the whitelist would still point the Chromecast-side app to the real app, (ie, phone might run SneakyApp by Chromecast would still launch its Google Movies app), I think.
it is probably ok to use someone else's player in an App you wrote but it is probably not ok to say you are their App that also uses it.

I can certainly see Real Player making their CCast (DIAL) Player App available to 3rd Party developers to use for other projects like NFL and MLB streams that require DRM as part of their Content Creator packages.

Maybe you know (I'm sure Team Eureka would have an idea) if it is the Apps we run that are Whitelisted or the Apps that actually play on the CCast that are restricted by the Whitelist. I'm betting the Latter...

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 811

DONATE TO ME
As I know it, the whitelist controls everything Chromecast "runs."

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.
Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! / Rootable Serial Numbers | Root Mini-FAQ | FlashCast flashing Mini-FAQ
BYO powered OTG cable | WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations | Not all 1080p/720p is same
Search Tip: Google search terms site:forum.xda-developers.com for only XDA forum results. Example
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'