APKTool Updated with Android Lollipop Support

One of the beauties of Android is the level of flexibility we have over our devices. Whether … more

Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

so... whats the point of chromecast vs HDMI out?

OP codecobalt

4th January 2014, 10:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
So, I finally bought a chromecast and after 30 minutes was left wondering "why did I buy this instead of just getting a 15' HDMI cable to dual monitor my laptop on my TV.

It seems like casting from a tab uses more resources, uses double the bandwidth, and has limited features compared to just dual-monitoring.

In order to continue using a VPN and chromecast I have to mod the firmware on the router. chromecast uses a fair amount of resources when casting video. And as far as I can tell there's no benefit (besides it being wireless) compared to HDMI out dual monitoring... am I missing something or is it really just nothing that special?
4th January 2014, 10:51 AM   |  #2  
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks Meter: 252

180 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecobalt

So, I finally bought a chromecast and after 30 minutes was left wondering "why did I buy this instead of just getting a 15' HDMI cable to dual monitor my laptop on my TV.

It seems like casting from a tab uses more resources, uses double the bandwidth, and has limited features compared to just dual-monitoring.

In order to continue using a VPN and chromecast I have to mod the firmware on the router. chromecast uses a fair amount of resources when casting video. And as far as I can tell there's no benefit (besides it being wireless) compared to HDMI out dual monitoring... am I missing something or is it really just nothing that special?

Hi Codecobalt,

The main benefit is convenience. There's something just very natural about selecting content from your phone and then having it play on the TV - with how the chromecast connects it's actually the device that creates the connection to the provider and as such there shouldn't be any increased bandwidth usage (only control information is sent via your phone in most cases - excepting applications that pass your data via external services).

If you wish to use a VPN you may have to mod your router however you can normally just add a route or some mechanism to stop it's connection to google DNS servers which will force the device to fall back to locally defined DNS servers if that helps. If you require assistance with the whole router thing let me know (as I've done many of them in many different ways).

Again as I said, the main reason for the device is convienience - I personally although being a tech head don't like the idea of having to launch movies with a mouse and keyboard off a laptop and all the rigmarole that comes with it (since purchasing chromecasts I haven't used my local movie stash in around 3 months).

Well that's my speel about it, if you have any specific requests please do not hesitate to ask and I hope you grow to love the device as much as I do.
4th January 2014, 11:44 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
I have no real gripes about it, I just don't see the real benefit to me, but I'm a laptop user who always has my laptop in front of me. I can understand though how you like the ability to use your android phone to launch videos wirelessly. I love to use my phone to launch youtube videos on my PS3.

It just seems like so long as you already have an HDMI out connection (and a laptop infront of you at all times) it's more universal to just dual monitor. for instance while casting "Watch ESPN" on my PC to TV, I can't fullscreen the video in the tab so that the video on my TV is fullscreen and still use the PC.. which kind of defeats the purpose. but with dual monitor I can have the video fullscreened on my TV while still using my laptop screen for everything else.

If it were a wireless option to dual monitor I would LOVE IT! but that's not what it was intended to be. I like it being wireless, but since I already have a 15' ethernet cable (just prefer it to wifi when available), usb to mini usb cable to charge my ps3 controller, and a wired headset for my ps3, one extra cable (the hdmi) running across the floor doesn't really bother me too much.

It's cool tech and very affordable for what it is, but it just left me wanting much more... thought I had to be missing the point.

For people without a ps3 or xbox or multiple TV's/chromecasts I can see the advantage.. just not for me I suppose.

I mostly wanted it so that I could watch my comcast xfinity online account (watch espn/2/u, FX, FXX, etc to stream live TV as an alternative to my netflix while I'm away from home and have a real screen. the ps3 doesn't have an xfinity app and I liked the idea of being able to stream only 1 specific tab. but then I have to use the zoom function on the tv to make it fullscreen and still use the laptop.
Last edited by codecobalt; 4th January 2014 at 11:57 AM.
4th January 2014, 11:45 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 873

2,237 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Casting from a tab (or the entire desktop) is not Chromecast's core use case. If that's all you're doing, then you are better off using HDMI or WiDi.

Chromecast's advantage, in addition to the sheer browsing/usage/convenience factor that @Kyonz mentioned, is "offloading" the playback duties. Chromecast's power usage is far less than your laptop, and you're free to take your laptop/phone/tablet and run if you need to while Chromecast continues to play. Someone else in the household can easily take over control of Chromecast from another device as well (there's some annoyance/bad to this too, but it's good as long as everyone plays nicely).
Likewise, I can move where media is being played back in most apps by pausing the playback, and resuming it on another Chromecast. Sadly, it won't turn off the TV though.

The previous paragraph deals solely with Chromecast-native applications, ie, not tab-casting or desktop-casting with the Cast extension from Chrome. Like I said in the beginning, if you're mainly trying to cast your computer's tab or screen, Chromecast is not the ideal solution.
4th January 2014, 01:09 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 54

356 posts
I find the chromecast handy in my TV room... No hdmi cables everywhere. Just pull out my phone or tablet and pull up whatever I want to watch then send it to the chromecast and put the phone down.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
4th January 2014, 01:24 PM   |  #6  
Flag Southern Oregon...
Thanks Meter: 153

668 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rans0m00

I find the chromecast handy in my TV room... No hdmi cables everywhere. Just pull out my phone or tablet and pull up whatever I want to watch then send it to the chromecast and put the phone down.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

+1

also a nice way to upgrade an older non-smart TV to semi smart......
4th January 2014, 01:37 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
I never got it to work with my jellybean android phone. installed the app but never saw a chromecast feature in anything... chrome browser, watch espn, gallery nothing... but again didn't really try too hard.. hdmi for me.
4th January 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #8  
Flag Hartsville
Thanks Meter: 381

635 posts
More
Quote:

I never got it to work with my jellybean android phone. installed the app but never saw a chromecast feature in anything... chrome browser, watch espn, gallery nothing... but again didn't really try too hard.. hdmi for me.

Not all apps have the casting feature. Avia does YouTube does. ESPN and gallery do not

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
4th January 2014, 07:41 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 319

1,847 posts
One of the Advantages is to be able to stream content to TVs in other rooms for Family and Friends without having to tie up your Laptop.

Truth is a Laptop has the fewest options available for using the CCast. None of the CCast compatible Apps will run on a Laptop and the only real benefit is you can launch a Netflix, Hulu and YouTube movie to the CCast from their Webpages.

So you can watch a movie on your TV while you do other things with the Laptop.
4th January 2014, 10:41 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 873

2,237 posts
Donate to Me
More
In the OP's case a secondary out from the computer doesn't "tie it up" much except for CPU and network usage. Well, launching a full screen game or something would likely jam things up.

Sent from a device with no keyboard. Please forgive typos, they may not be my own.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread