Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Quo Vadis, Open {Source, Standards, World}? w/ Jan Wildeboer – XDA:DevCon 2014

Open Source was a big topic at this years XDA:DevCon … more

Android 5.0 Leaked for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Android Lollipop is still making its way to many new devices. Firmware updates have been … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] What's so bad about Knox?

OP Tiger33

4th January 2014, 02:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

196 posts
More
Sorry maybe i've missed something

but what is so bad about tripping knox.

surely if we are rooting and installing custom roms then we should have our warranties void unless we have special developer versions of the devices (i.e moto x developer version which does allow rom installation)

given that the galaxy note 3 does not why should be care about tripping or not?

if we install a new rom then we are voiding warranty and running the risks anyway?

If i'm samsung and someone is taking a device in due to issues with the software then i would want to know if they attempted a install custom software or not..

surely this is a good idea by samsung to do this?
4th January 2014, 03:03 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 48

180 posts
I agree with you on this one, but I think a lot of people are upset at the fact there's no way of going back to stock without leaving a trace of root anymore. To be honest though, if you root then you know very well you're voiding your warranty, why should Samsung repair a device you've modified away from their software?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
4th January 2014, 06:18 PM   |  #3  
Shahrood
Thanks Meter: 94

214 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4j1

I agree with you on this one, but I think a lot of people are upset at the fact there's no way of going back to stock without leaving a trace of root anymore. To be honest though, if you root then you know very well you're voiding your warranty, why should Samsung repair a device you've modified away from their software?

Yeah I agree. I don't think Knox is bad at all.
4th January 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 37

203 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4j1

its not the fact it cant be completely undone for me. really winds me up is why not allow it to automatically reset the device knows when the rom is custom or official so surely if it knows that knox can be allowed to run on an official device. And me messing with the software is no grounds to void hardware warranty imho. its only the same as Ford voiding the warranty of your brand new car because you used the wrong petrol station
4th January 2014, 06:30 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 48

180 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazeddy

its not the fact it cant be completely undone for me. really winds me up is why not allow it to automatically reset the device knows when the rom is custom or official so surely if it knows that knox can be allowed to run on an official device. And me messing with the software is no grounds to void hardware warranty imho. its only the same as Ford voiding the warranty of your brand new car because you used the wrong petrol station

I'd say it's because once a custom rom/software has been installed onto the device no matter what you do there may be assumptions there are traces of files left, or the fact that the custom rom has malfunctioned some of the hardware. Putting a stock rom back on only covers it up but the matter of the fact is KNOX sets out to identify these things.

I've rooted my device personally because im not too fussed about warranty, it's not going to put me off buying future samsung devices to be honest.
4th January 2014, 06:43 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

18 posts
More
Rooting a device is not a crime i think. Btw, how many percent of users root or install custom roms,only miniscule. Its like punishing those enthusiasts, who can really indirectly promote a brand. It doesnt even make economic sense for sansung. I changed my mind and got G2 instead.

Sent from my LG-D802 using xda app-developers app
4th January 2014, 07:03 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Knox isn't bad per se but I chose Samsung because of all manufacturers, they're the only one aside from Nexus phones, that can be completely reverted back to stock. It's not as easy as undoing a jailbreak on iOS but it's still the easiest. Sony strips your phone of DRM once you unlock the bootloader, HTC flags your phone as unlocked/relocked with no way of reverting unless you got yourself an uber popular phone. When they introduced Knox, it basically stopped me from rooting my phone. Now I wouldn't have any problem if only software warranty is voided but tripping Knox also voids hardware warranty so if your phone suddenly stopped working, it won't be covered even if it was just a hardware defect.

To be honest, the only reasons I root my phone would be Cerberus and Titanium Backup and I doubt they could wreck my phone just by being there. Android doesn't have the same ease iOS have where you can just restore your backup to any new phone and have everything exactly as it was on your old phone. Titanium Backup is one of those few apps that gives me a similar experience by restoring all my apps and app data. My contacts and SMS are already covered by Google but app backups on the other hand is something I still need.
5th January 2014, 01:26 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 96

460 posts
It should be illegal to refuse warranty for hardware, because of software modifications and no, I can't think of any way software could cause hardware failure, even massive overclocking should pretty much end with thermal shutdown and no drama whatsoever. Knox is not bad idea, but it should be included on separate business line of phones only. There are many versions of GS4 like mini, active etc. why not come out with secure GS4 business with Knox and leave consumer phones alone? They even pushed Knox on my 1yr old GS3, which I couldn't care less since it's out of warranty anyway, but it's just another useless bloatware and one more reason to root to get rid of it.
To me it is insane that I can't fully back up my phone without rooting and rooting could void my warranty.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread