5,599,394 Members 37,983 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do you recommend: Acer Iconia A1-810 ??

Tip us?

AhmadLight
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Do you recommend: Acer Iconia A1-810 ??

Hello,

I was about to buy this tablet:

Ainol Novo 10 Hero 2
http://www.pandawill.com/ainol-novo-...ra-p70835.html

But I found this one:

Acer Iconia A1-810

Is really the Acer better?
I heard a lot about it, found the problem with its speakers (very low), you can't root it (some people tried but I read that they didn't succeed) and apps can't be moved to SD card.............

I don't know much about rooting (I haven't used any android device yet) but I think it's important
Does it have other problems? I don't want to regret buying it...

What do you recommend for me?

Note: About the specs of both devices, I don't have a problem
I'm asking about the software part (lags, developers' custom ROMS, etc....)

gtr73
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmadLight View Post
Hello,

I was about to buy this tablet:

Ainol Novo 10 Hero 2

But I found this one:

Acer Iconia A1-810

Is really the Acer better?
I heard a lot about it, found the problem with its speakers (very low), you can't root it (some people tried but I read that they didn't succeed) and apps can't be moved to SD card.............

I don't know much about rooting (I haven't used any android device yet) but I think it's important
Does it have other problems? I don't want to regret buying it...

What do you recommend for me?

Note: About the specs of both devices, I don't have a problem
I'm asking about the software part (lags, developers' custom ROMS, etc....)
The Acer A1-810 is a great tablet - nice size, quad-core performance, the screen is acceptable and it's priced similar to the so-called "value" Chinese tablets on eBay. After owning an Ainol tablet myself, the Acer A1-810 felt like I was moving to a proper, real Android tablet. Build quality and reliability becomes immediately apparent.

Having said that, you want have much success with rooting and loading any custom ROMs. Acer won't unlock the bootloader and the MediaTek SoC chipset is well and truly locked down.

And now, 9 months later, Acer have released the A1-830 - almost the same specs including the screen, but with an Intel chipset I think. However it's still on Jellybean 4.2, which amazes me (where's KitKat?!)

So I expect I will be stuck with Jellybean 4.2.2 for the life of my A1-810 tablet. Which is okay if you're happy to just use the tablet for what it can do: consume media content, play games, surf the net, social media. It does all of this really well.

But as for any software upgrades? Looks like it ain't gonna happen.