Ask a question

No registration required

Charger question.

OP aqswde123

3rd January 2014, 02:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 23

75 posts
My phone came with a 500ma 5v charger, I seemed to have misplaced it, I have a spare 500ma 5.2v charger at home, Is it safe to use it? Will the extra 0.2V have any adverse effects?

Thanks
4th January 2014, 08:29 AM   |  #2  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Donate to Me
More
Probably OK,
I would say it is OK for most part. Usually, AC/DC adapters are not that precision. You can check voltage output with ohm meter under load for actual voltage output.

Simple way to fix is connect 5v zener diode for quick voltage control between + and -, if your device battery is Lithium battery that is sensitive to input voltage. Check device specification for battery type. You can get zener diode from Radio Shack or electronics part store.
4th January 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2,184

2,898 posts
@rhanxdad: good reply but I'm afraid I'm only one of few people in this forum section who understood what you meant Not everybody has EE or electronic hobby background

Here is my take on this. Your battery is 3.7-3.8V, and once you plugin that 5.2V charger into micro-usb (5V standard) interface of your phone conector it depends on tolerance of its input of the internal converter chip (5V -> 3.7V for charging). This can't be guaranteed and will vary between phones, just my guess. Considering your have 500mA charger, I can also guess you don't have the latest brand name smartphone where most of them use 1A-2A chargers. Another thing, everybody makes 5V micro-usb wall chargers, and the fact that you have one rated at 5.2V sounds like some cheap ebay part? So taking all this into consideration, I would probably stay away from that charger. Look up on Amazon, you can find a nice one under $10, like from Anker or Ravpower.
5th January 2014, 01:18 AM   |  #4  
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Donate to Me
More
Final Answer ;)
@vectron, yes your answer is better, haha. Sorry about the ambiguous answer.
@aqswde123, How is this, if it is only 5v, then connect to Laptop/PC USB through your Sync cable. You probably already own this and then it will be free.
Good luck.
Last edited by rhanxdad; 5th January 2014 at 01:48 AM. Reason: misspel member name
5th January 2014, 04:23 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 23

75 posts
Thanks guys, will order a new charger and will use my comp to charge it in the meanwhile. After starting this thread I have been googling and I've read that the usual USB tolerance is between 4.75 - 5.25 V and hence anything inbetween is safe, but i wont take the chance anyway.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread