[Q] I need a little guidance... (I'm desperate)
Hello everyone. I'm quite new to this whole fiddling with my S3 thing. I mean, I successfully flashed a previous version of Danvdh's Dandroid ROM a few months ago but was not pleased when it would not pick up ANY GPS satellites even after 20 minutes of waiting to get a fix. Of course I tried everything from tightening screws (none of my screws were loose) to that aGPS patch (for which it gave me the wrong location even after trying what the notes suggest).
Having said that, yesterday, I tried flashing other ROMs (like Beanstalk) in hopes of getting better GPS. Now Beanstalk worked fine and gave me GPS, but with that I then ran into problems mounting and formatting a new SD card. So then I flashed the newest version of Dandroid and successfully mounted the SD card, but it still gave me GPS problems, at which point I was kind of disheartened and decided to give saranhai's StockMOD ROM a try.
I ran into all kinds of problems.
1. I'm sure this isn't the dev's fault, but my CWM version 188.8.131.52 (is that old?) won't recognize any kind of change in my internal SD card since late yesterday. My desktop and ES file explorer both register the same files and folders, but CWM still sees old files like the zip files for Beanstalk and Dandroid which don't appear on my computer??? And it won't see any new files??? What did I do wrong? Therefore, I flashed things from my external SD card from there. (Was that wrong to do?) Also, every time I try to reboot through CWM, it says root access may have been lost and asks if I want to try and fix it. I say no because my SuperSU still works?
2. After FIRST flashing Dandroid 5.1 I noticed Wi-Fi wasn't working. A post
from the Dandroid thread said to flash a kernel "or update to the newest bootloaders." I flashed the kernel he provided and found out too late that it was for T999L or something and my phone is T999. I'm kinda surprised my phone didn't brick then. Anyway, I got Wi-Fi, but whenever I tried to turn on mobile data, it said to insert a SIM card?? I'm sure it's because I flashed that wrong kernel. When I go into Settings > About Device it says the Baseband version is unknown and the Kernel version is as follows:
Sat Oct 5 00:13:48 KST 2013
and the build number: JSS15J.T999UVUEMJC
EDIT: I FOUND OUT MY PHONE WAS ACTUALLY T999L NOT T999. Currently trying to fix things. I'll get back to the thread.
3. So hoping saranhai's StockMOD ROM would give me the fresh start I so desperately needed, I followed his instructions step by step from flashing the right modem FIRST then flashing the ROM, but alas, the same "Insert SIM card...." error still plagued me. You would not believe how sad I got. (I'm still pretty sad.)
At that point I tried REALLY hard to familiarize myself with what I was doing, reading the thread carefully, looking through that glossary thread to help me keep up with the techie terms, and searching for instructions on how to get it fixed, but I couldn't find anything and I was stuck.
4. This morning I flashed the Insecure kernel the StockMOD ROM thread provided and I still get the error.
5. I tried to restore from a backup I made last week on CWM, but it kept saying "checking MD5 files" and them giving me an error about not being able to restore.
As you all can see, I probably made a HUGE mess out of my phone and it might come as a huge surprise that I haven't bricked it completely. I'm extremely desperate at this point and I've admitted that I don't know what I'm doing.
It's come to the point where I just want a stable handset that will give me the services I want (GPS, mobile data, Wi-Fi, etc.) and I'm beginning to think this root lyfe isn't for me. I searched for guides on how to return to stock and unroot, but all the guides are different and I'm so confused and overwhelmed as to what I should do at this point. Please, please, please! A little guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks for your time!