Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,200 Members 40,833 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I need a little guidance... (I'm desperate)

Tip us?

kakkun
Old
(Last edited by kakkun; 5th January 2014 at 03:21 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] I need a little guidance... (I'm desperate)

Hello everyone. I'm quite new to this whole fiddling with my S3 thing. I mean, I successfully flashed a previous version of Danvdh's Dandroid ROM a few months ago but was not pleased when it would not pick up ANY GPS satellites even after 20 minutes of waiting to get a fix. Of course I tried everything from tightening screws (none of my screws were loose) to that aGPS patch (for which it gave me the wrong location even after trying what the notes suggest).

Having said that, yesterday, I tried flashing other ROMs (like Beanstalk) in hopes of getting better GPS. Now Beanstalk worked fine and gave me GPS, but with that I then ran into problems mounting and formatting a new SD card. So then I flashed the newest version of Dandroid and successfully mounted the SD card, but it still gave me GPS problems, at which point I was kind of disheartened and decided to give saranhai's StockMOD ROM a try.

I ran into all kinds of problems.

1. I'm sure this isn't the dev's fault, but my CWM version 6.0.3.7 (is that old?) won't recognize any kind of change in my internal SD card since late yesterday. My desktop and ES file explorer both register the same files and folders, but CWM still sees old files like the zip files for Beanstalk and Dandroid which don't appear on my computer??? And it won't see any new files??? What did I do wrong? Therefore, I flashed things from my external SD card from there. (Was that wrong to do?) Also, every time I try to reboot through CWM, it says root access may have been lost and asks if I want to try and fix it. I say no because my SuperSU still works?

2. After FIRST flashing Dandroid 5.1 I noticed Wi-Fi wasn't working. A post from the Dandroid thread said to flash a kernel "or update to the newest bootloaders." I flashed the kernel he provided and found out too late that it was for T999L or something and my phone is T999. I'm kinda surprised my phone didn't brick then. Anyway, I got Wi-Fi, but whenever I tried to turn on mobile data, it said to insert a SIM card?? I'm sure it's because I flashed that wrong kernel. When I go into Settings > About Device it says the Baseband version is unknown and the Kernel version is as follows:

3.0.31-1804024
se.infra@R0301-06
Sat Oct 5 00:13:48 KST 2013

and the build number: JSS15J.T999UVUEMJC

EDIT: I FOUND OUT MY PHONE WAS ACTUALLY T999L NOT T999. Currently trying to fix things. I'll get back to the thread.

3. So hoping saranhai's StockMOD ROM would give me the fresh start I so desperately needed, I followed his instructions step by step from flashing the right modem FIRST then flashing the ROM, but alas, the same "Insert SIM card...." error still plagued me. You would not believe how sad I got. (I'm still pretty sad.) At that point I tried REALLY hard to familiarize myself with what I was doing, reading the thread carefully, looking through that glossary thread to help me keep up with the techie terms, and searching for instructions on how to get it fixed, but I couldn't find anything and I was stuck.

4. This morning I flashed the Insecure kernel the StockMOD ROM thread provided and I still get the error.

5. I tried to restore from a backup I made last week on CWM, but it kept saying "checking MD5 files" and them giving me an error about not being able to restore.

As you all can see, I probably made a HUGE mess out of my phone and it might come as a huge surprise that I haven't bricked it completely. I'm extremely desperate at this point and I've admitted that I don't know what I'm doing.

It's come to the point where I just want a stable handset that will give me the services I want (GPS, mobile data, Wi-Fi, etc.) and I'm beginning to think this root lyfe isn't for me. I searched for guides on how to return to stock and unroot, but all the guides are different and I'm so confused and overwhelmed as to what I should do at this point. Please, please, please! A little guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3389

DONATE TO ME
First off don't get disheartened. You did demonstrate a genuine attempt to help yourself and try your best on your own. Yes mistakes happen. We all do that. For what its worth, no one is born knowledgeable in these areas. We all learn.

Ok so what do we do next ? Lets start with a clean slate and put that all behind you. Yes your current recovery CWM is indeed dated and that's the reason for some of the issues you have.

Follow these steps.

1. Take UVDMD5 version of Root66 from here. Use ODIN to flash it to your phone. If you need a guide on how to use ODIN, read this thread carefully.

2. Once that Stock firmware has been updated and your phone boots fine, check if you have GPS and all the other features working to your satisfaction. Given your problems with GPS, I strongly recommend taking a GPS fix at this time.

3. Once that's working fine, flash the latest CWM Touch Recovery (version 6.0.4.5 for D2TMO). You can use Rom Manager from Play store.

4. Take a Nandroid before proceeding. When you do, uncheck the generate MD5 and enable Compression.

5. Now its your choice. You could flash Saranhai's Stock Mod or Danvdh's Dandroid. Both are good Roms and its your call. Check the GPS working after you flash Rom of your choice.

If you do choose to go after Saranhai's Rom and get into the Wi-Fi Problems, post here before you try any solutions. With Danvdh's Rom, there are certain steps to enable Root. You can't just flash SuperSU and hope to gain Root.
The Following User Says Thank You to Perseus71 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kakkun
Old
(Last edited by kakkun; 5th January 2014 at 12:06 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus71 View Post
First off don't get disheartened. You did demonstrate a genuine attempt to help yourself and try your best on your own. Yes mistakes happen. We all do that. For what its worth, no one is born knowledgeable in these areas. We all learn.

Ok so what do we do next ? Lets start with a clean slate and put that all behind you. Yes your current recovery CWM is indeed dated and that's the reason for some of the issues you have.

Follow these steps.

1. Take UVDMD5 version of Root66 from here. Use ODIN to flash it to your phone. If you need a guide on how to use ODIN, read this thread carefully.

2. Once that Stock firmware has been updated and your phone boots fine, check if you have GPS and all the other features working to your satisfaction. Given your problems with GPS, I strongly recommend taking a GPS fix at this time.

3. Once that's working fine, flash the latest CWM Touch Recovery (version 6.0.4.5 for D2TMO). You can use Rom Manager from Play store.

4. Take a Nandroid before proceeding. When you do, uncheck the generate MD5 and enable Compression.

5. Now its your choice. You could flash Saranhai's Stock Mod or Danvdh's Dandroid. Both are good Roms and its your call. Check the GPS working after you flash Rom of your choice.

If you do choose to go after Saranhai's Rom and get into the Wi-Fi Problems, post here before you try any solutions. With Danvdh's Rom, there are certain steps to enable Root. You can't just flash SuperSU and hope to gain Root.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply!

After a little bit of browsing the forum, I found that my IMEI seems to be missing and simply flashing the correct modems/kernels/whatever you call them does not fix it. I will go through your instructions and then report the results.

I read on here that sometimes it just happens randomly after flashing 4.3 ROMs? Well I certainly hope I get back my IMEI and hope it's not blacklisted :/ Apparently I can't access signal or data without it.

Thank you again!

EDIT: Does an "Unknown" IMEI mean I've totally lost it?

EDIT 2: Okay now I know God hates me. I downloaded the Root66 file and Odin will NOT let me flash it onto my phone. Keeps giving me aboot (???) errors no matter what port I use! I know I took a risk tinkering with my phone but I don't think I deserve this!

Honestly now I don't want anything to do with rooting and custom ROMs anymore. I think I'm too stupid for this. I think I just want it back to the way it was when I bought it. Could you please help me to do that?

I'm done with this root stuff, I can't do it anymore.

Sorry, I honestly don't mean to come off as whiny or ungrateful, I've just spent two days trying to figure this stuff out and it's getting me VERY tired and VERY irritated.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3389

DONATE TO ME
Oops I think I forgot to mention that you will have to put the phone in Download mode before you plug it in for ODIN. In order to get into Download mode you turn off the phone and press Volume Down AND HOME AND POWER simultaneously. If you are doing it for the first time, it may seem hard. Be patient.

Yes I suspected you to be "Missing IMEI". That's why suggested going to Stock. Your Call & Data problems come from there.

My steps do take you back to Stock.