XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

how to transfer SD to new one?

Tip us?

pete4k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Default how to transfer SD to new one?

With some programs installing partially to external SD card, how do I transfer them when I upgrade it to bigger size, when system files are invisible? My data files are easy, I just copy them to my laptop and then back to the new card, but invisible system files?
Better yet, how do I make them visible on Win7 laptop, as this is really, really annoying me beyond belief. I could be thinking the card is empty and format it, when it could have whole bunch system crap on it. I really don't feel like reinstalling 100 or so programs again, some of them paid.

nijel8
Old
Thanks Meter 236
You can use adb to pull all files/folders from old sdcard to laptop and push them back to the new one.

Misterjunky
Old
Thanks Meter 1862

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k View Post
With some programs installing partially to external SD card, how do I transfer them when I upgrade it to bigger size, when system files are invisible? My data files are easy, I just copy them to my laptop and then back to the new card, but invisible system files?
Better yet, how do I make them visible on Win7 laptop, as this is really, really annoying me beyond belief. I could be thinking the card is empty and format it, when it could have whole bunch system crap on it. I really don't feel like reinstalling 100 or so programs again, some of them paid.
There are no programs/apps which use the external sdcard by default for installation purposes.
Now if you are talking about Apps2SD that's a different story, but that's something which
YOU have initiated, the actual programs/apps by default install themselves entirely in the
internal memory of the phone.

Good luck!
Have a great day, enjoy!

Don't forget it takes less time to click the "THANKS" button than to type "thank you".
(unless you type very fast).

pete4k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterjunky View Post
There are no programs/apps which use the external sdcard by default for installation purposes.
Now if you are talking about Apps2SD that's a different story, but that's something which
YOU have initiated, the actual programs/apps by default install themselves entirely in the
internal memory of the phone.

Good luck!
That is absolutely not true. Just downloaded game ARC Redux, App info says 37 MB internal, 521 MB ext SD card, right after install and I have not changed any installation settings nor move to SD (is there a setting where programs should install? I know developer can allow program to install on SD or not, is there such option for user?). Worst comes to worse I'll instal ADB, but there must be easier way. I remember I had some program that would show all invisible files in windows, can't remember what was it, maybe it would work. I can't believe I'm the only one having this dilemma.