5,606,588 Members 36,053 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4.2 KitKat roll out announced

Tip us?

drfr
Old
Thanks Meter 491
No more native support for OTG here either. Need for 3rd party solution.

Sent from my XT1032 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Device: Moto G German retail
ROM: Stock 176.44.1
Workflow: 1. read - 2. think - 3. try - 4. goto 1

DaveinAsia
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 95
The following link is an article at Android Central accompanied by an infographic from HTC describing the different processes required for an Android update. Since we're talking about the 4.4.2 update - specifically the speed with which is was rolled out on the just released Moto G - I thought it would be interesting to show others HTC's own update route and wonder aloud how much more efficient the New Motorola is. My guess is the Moto G and X paths are somewhat akin to HTC's Google play and Developer Edition routes.

http://m.androidcentral.com/htc-deta...y-inforgraphic

Sent from my Moto G

nlra
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfr View Post
No more native support for OTG here either.
I think we all need to be *very* careful with how we define and use our terms. I just tested my XT1032 with the official KitKat OTA applied, and "OTG" absolutely does work. I tested it both with a USB keyboard as well as a USB audio DAC, and both things worked perfectly right out of the box.

I *suspect* what you meant is that you couldn't make USB external storage (hard drive, flash, SD card reader, etc.) work. I didn't try that. But "OTG" only refers strictly to the phone's ability to act as a USB host, and nothing more. It makes no claims about which USB devices it supports or has drivers built-in for. If you can't make external storage work, then say you can't make external storage work. But let's not confuse others by telling them that "OTG" as a whole doesn't work when it most emphatically does. Oftentimes, for other phone models, OTG as a whole absolutely doesn't work at all (meaning you cannot use ANY USB devices with it, period), and making the OTG part work on such phones is (more than) half the battle, assuming it is even possible. After you clear the OTG hurdle, you then start working on supporting specific kinds of USB devices, such as storage.

-- Nathan
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nlra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Rusty!
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0bes View Post
and it's definitely a bug because the problem can easily be solved by this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tmanager&hl=ru
That doesn't make it a bug. There are lots of things stock phones don't do that can be added by third party apps.
Google Nexus 5 on Giffgaff UK

frojnd
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Hi there.

I was wondering if with kitkat GPS is fixed? I found this review: http://translate.google.com/translat....106672.0.html

Where you can see that GPS is not so accurate. Can someone confirms that gps is more accurate with newst version of android?

theArchitektas
Old
Thanks Meter 6

DONATE TO ME
I don't think it's a software problem. The GPS module on a dedicated GPS device, quite possibly, is better than the one on most phones, so accuracy differences are to be expected.

Now I'm sitting in my flat and Google Maps gets my location instantly, with a correction of ~5 meters, haven't really tried out it when traveling.

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2614
GPS is dead on for me, XT-1032 8GB Germany Retail not rooted JB 4.3.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

itsmrcuddles
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I received my Moto G 2 days ago and it received the update to Kit Kat as soon as I powered it on. This is my first android device since the original galaxy s. So excited to play with this thing!
The Following User Says Thank You to itsmrcuddles For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theoneofgod
Old
Thanks Meter 138
Will I still get the update even on a Tesco ROM? I tried flashing retail but got permission denied at this:

Code:
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
Current Devices:
Moto G 16GB
Huawei Y300 (Black)
Alcatel OT-983 (Black) [Dead]
Nokia 2630
Xperia Play R800i (Black) [Dead]
Nexus 7 (16GB) [Returned]

Soerdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmrcuddles View Post
I received my Moto G 2 days ago and it received the update to Kit Kat as soon as I powered it on. This is my first android device since the original galaxy s. So excited to play with this thing!
Similar to my story. I have sold my galaxy s I9000 for 70 euro's and bought this amazing moto g.