5,600,984 Members 43,700 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Noob question- cant connect SGS3 - PC via USB cable after phone unlocked.

Tip us?

Gorf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Noob question- cant connect SGS3 - PC via USB cable after phone unlocked.

My neighbour has had a Galaxy S3 for 18 months which he's flashed OTA to 4.3. I suspect he's also agreed to the "denial log reporting service" nag screen.

He's recently changed provider so unlocked it from Orange (UK). The person who did it had a real struggle, it took three attempts on different days.

The phone boots, he's using his new provider, everything is fine except he can no longer connect to the PC via USB. It keeps trying to install a "Qualcomm CDMA Technologies MFM" driver (and failing).

Does anyone have any ideas what might have happened?

kp20kp
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Try to download samsing kies on the computer. It will install the usb drivers needed for your phone to be able to hook up to the PC.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using xda app-developers app

Gorf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Many thanks for the reply. I managed to install KIES but the PC still generates this error message, but with KIES installed it gets into a loop and keeps presenting the message.

I'm able to connect my SGS4 to the PC and it appears immediately as a browsable device in Windows Explorer. (He's running Vista 32bit.)

I think that something has been changed in the process of unlocking the phone from Orange, probably as a result of him accepting the denial log service, meaning he'd installed Samsung Knox. The bloke who unlocked his phone has had to do a fairly low-level change, possibly even rooting the phone, to get it unlocked.

Is there a simple way to see if a phone is rooted?

kp20kp
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Download a root checker app from the playstore. If the device is not rooted it should say something like " this device does not have root" or something similar

Sent from my GT-N5110 using xda app-developers app

Gorf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Cheers for the reply - I'll send him a text and get him to do that. Not likely to see him until the new year now...

jesuscash
Old
Thanks Meter 327
Liveboot a linux distribution and see if using the lsusb command on terminal will yield any results.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

brianando
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default Airdroid

I use the app Airdroid to transfer files. No wires needed and it's free and pretty fast

Gorf
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuscash View Post
Liveboot a linux distribution and see if using the lsusb command on terminal will yield any results.
Thanks for the reply. He's not competent to liveboot - it'll be a week or so before I get to his PC (he just moved house and it's still packed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianando View Post
I use the app Airdroid to transfer files. No wires needed and it's free and pretty fast
He doesn't have a wireless router - does that matter?

Tags
qualcomm cdma, sgs3