[Q] I9505 cannot go to recovery mode
A friend has some trouble with his Galaxy S4 I9505 and we're trying to fix it.
Here is the story:
- That phone got a bit of salty water inside while at the beach. Right after that, my friend pulled out the battery and waited for it to dry. Then, he tried to start it but nothing happened. The screen remained black. He took the phone to Samsung Service Center and they quoted a higher price than a new S4 for the repair... Obviously, my friend said no and took the broken phone with him...
Then, we opened it and cleaned the salt out of the mother board and everywhere else. We let it dry, put the battery in and power it on. Yeah, we get the boot logo! But that's all
The phone just displays that....
- We try to go to recovery mode (Vol Up + Power) but we stick to the boot logo with "Recovery booting" in blue at the top. We can't get to recovery mode...
- We try to go to download mode (Vol Down + Power) and it works
After googling around, people with similar problems at boot are advised to load a stock ROM with Odin.
- Let's do it, we get a ROM called I9505XXUEML1_I9505OLBEML1_I9505XXUEML1_HOME.tar.md 5 and we flash it with Odin. Odin says "pass" and we reboot the phone to go to recovery mode. Same problem, the phone displays the logo with "Recovery booting" at the top and that's it
- Then, we flash the ROM again and provide also a PIT file. Odin says "pass" but the result is the same...
- Last attempt: we flash the PIT files first (get "Pass") and flash the ROM after that (get "Pass" again) but we still have the same behaviour.
Now, the phone shows "recovery booting" even if we try to start it normally (without holding Vol Up).
We are stuck here with no ideas.... Is the motherboard dead? It's really frustrating to see the download mode and flashing work perfectly but we can't boot up...
Any idea is welcome
Note: That phone was not rooted or anything before. My friend is a normal user who doesn't play around with custom ROMs.