Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,847 Members 54,188 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy SIII d2spr

Tip us?

JacobGates
Old
(Last edited by JacobGates; 5th January 2014 at 04:16 PM.) Reason: forgot to add that part in
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Samsung Galaxy SIII d2spr

Hey guys, I am having trouble flashing some roms on my Sprint Galaxy SIII. Some of the unflashable roms include: Carbon 1.6, Pac-Man, and a few other's I can't remember the name of at the moment. Successful flashes so far are Slim, Cyanogenmod 10, and Carbon 1.5 (but with some minor issues). I googled this and the only things that came up where possible bad downloads but I have downloaded these bad ones over and over and have no different outcome. Okay so what happens when I try to flash these is it will say successful in clockwork recovery, then when I reboot the device it get's frozen in boot. On Carbon it just was black but the power button wouldn't respond until I pulled the battery out and put it back in so I assume it was in boot. Pac-Man shows the blue android Galaxy SIII screen and just stays there. I read somewhere to leave the phone for 15 minutes after a flash so I have tried that with both of these and nothing changes. The successful flashes don't take more that a minute or two. So I have no idea what is going on and now I am begging to think it might have something to do with my rooting method choice. Any suggestions or words of wisdom for me? Thank you!!!

Also so rule out some questions ahead of time: Yes I wipe system/factory reset, yes I wiped cache, yes I wiped Dalvik cache, I flashed them from my external sd card (sdcard1), I used the motochopper method of rooting from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2286241 , I had no problems with the motochopper root process according to the instructions. Okay I think that is all the standard questions, please ask if I missed one. Thank you again!

mcgrabowski
Old
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobGates View Post
Hey guys, I am having trouble flashing some roms on my Sprint Galaxy SIII. Some of the unflashable roms include: Carbon 1.6, Pac-Man, and a few other's I can't remember the name of at the moment. Successful flashes so far are Slim, Cyanogenmod 10, and Carbon 1.5 (but with some minor issues). I googled this and the only things that came up where possible bad downloads but I have downloaded these bad ones over and over and have no different outcome. Okay so what happens when I try to flash these is it will say successful in clockwork recovery, then when I reboot the device it get's frozen in boot. On Carbon it just was black but the power button wouldn't respond until I pulled the battery out and put it back in so I assume it was in boot. Pac-Man shows the blue android Galaxy SIII screen and just stays there. I read somewhere to leave the phone for 15 minutes after a flash so I have tried that with both of these and nothing changes. The successful flashes don't take more that a minute or two. So I have no idea what is going on and now I am begging to think it might have something to do with my rooting method choice. Any suggestions or words of wisdom for me? Thank you!!!

Also so rule out some questions ahead of time: Yes I wipe system/factory reset, yes I wiped cache, yes I wiped Dalvik cache, I flashed them from my external sd card (sdcard1), I used the motochopper method of rooting from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2286241 , I had no problems with the motochopper root process according to the instructions. Okay I think that is all the standard questions, please ask if I missed one. Thank you again!
It's a good practice to wipe cache and dalvik AFTER flashing the ROM. Also, sometimes I'll have better luck flashing a particular ROM with TWRP if it doesn't flash well with CWM, and vice versa.

JacobGates
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrabowski View Post
It's a good practice to wipe cache and dalvik AFTER flashing the ROM. Also, sometimes I'll have better luck flashing a particular ROM with TWRP if it doesn't flash well with CWM, and vice versa.
Oh, I haven't heard about wiping cache and dalvik after before, I will try that with one of them and see what happens. I did try TWRP once but it wouldn't do much of anything; I couldn't get it to mount the sd card, nandroid back up, and a few other things that I don't remember at the moment but maybe I had a bad download or install with that. Any suggestions on where to get it? I did it through goomanager last time.

mcgrabowski
Old
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobGates View Post
Oh, I haven't heard about wiping cache and dalvik after before, I will try that with one of them and see what happens. I did try TWRP once but it wouldn't do much of anything; I couldn't get it to mount the sd card, nandroid back up, and a few other things that I don't remember at the moment but maybe I had a bad download or install with that. Any suggestions on where to get it? I did it through goomanager last time.
Nandroid backups are NOT compatible between TWRP and CWM, so that can always be tricky trying to switch between the two and still being able to restore if needed. As long as you don't delete the folder where your backup is stored on the SDCard, you should be able to flash back to your other recovery and restore if it doesn't work out.

I've flashed recoveries through GooManager, Rom Toolbox Pro and Rom Manager as well as downloading the recoveries directly from their website and flashed them manually. (CWM or TWRP)