Outdoor under direct sun light?

Search This thread

zolom

Apr 27, 2008
Here
Does anyone have a clue how the new screen behaves outdoor, especially under direct sun light. My current HD "sucks" on that matter, espaecially when using GPS navigation during day time :mad:.

Thanks

Reason4444

Oct 18, 2006
indoor comparision..

Attachments

• foto05.jpg
    foto05.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 393

SNL

Feb 8, 2006
Below Sea Level
OnePlus 7 Pro
The HD 2 has a light sensor which will control the backlight based on the light in the environment you in. I have seen it on a Rodium and i must say it works very nice!

Last edited:

br3nt

Jul 23, 2008
The HD 2 has a light sensor which will control the backlight based on the light in the environment you in. I have seen it on a Rodium and i must say it works very nice!

If I'm not misstaken, even the Touch Diamond had that...
still doesn't answer the "question" :rolleyes:

ez2remember

Nov 4, 2008
The Touch HD had this too but still sucks under sunlight. Even if you manually set to maximum brightness it was pretty bad under sunlight.

wonsanim

Jan 25, 2007
I thinks this is a hard question to answer till the device is in the market :confused:

dfulgo

Feb 8, 2008
Italy
Normally, it is the glass protection of a capacitive screen which gives good readability under the direct sun, while the resistive needs a plastic cover able to catch up the points of pressure filtering a lot of brightness.
:p
In my experience (Samsung Omnia HD), the capacitive is very readable even under the sunlight, BUT, I'm not sure if the 65K colors Vs. 16M colors could affect the result.
:confused:

warnold007

Sep 12, 2008
I agree dfulgo. Although I'm not sure but I think this might really be the case.

If you have seen this video in youtube (link below) where they compared 7 different phones, even the Omnia2 AMOLED screen cannot compare to the Iphone's sunlight legibility. I think this is really mainly because of the strong reflection on the glass for the Omnia2, and not just the brightness of the screen. And the Omnia HD with capacitive screen looks better in sunlight than Omnia2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8b5Jb_dB3M

I'm hoping this is the case, so we might have good sunlight legibility for the HD2! :D

DaveLeh

Nov 11, 2007
I think this is really mainly because of the strong reflection on the glass for the Omnia2, and not just the brightness of the screen.

I am pretty sure it's because of it being an AMOLED screen. Those always have bad sunlight readability.

I think I read somewhere, that the HD2 was ok outdoors, but I am not really sure. Well, we will know for sure when it's out.

expsvetly

Feb 13, 2008
Sofia
Glass Cover

If Leo have glass cover (like Iphone) outdoor on direct sun light - OK :)
But if have plastic cover , we must wait for next phone :(

I hope HTC to use glass screen !!!

20mihalko

Aug 7, 2008
Bratislava
if anybody can use search utility, use it :(

it has glass screen, under sun light it is no problem...

once againt, search utility -> 3rd from right on that brown upper panel... click on search, and add a point of your question...

Mr Gadget

Jan 6, 2005
the hd2 is very good in sunlight ... de best HTC device (screen) untill now.
still the iphone is a little better.

alexleon

Nov 6, 2008
i saw hd2 in real under the sun light. difference with iphone? NO! hd2 perfectly shows its display in any condition. just 2 differences: 1) hd2's glass is more reflecting in comparison with the iphone one, but this doesn't affect its usability 2) the tft-panel adopted in hd2 has got more contrast, black is blacker!

hannawald

Aug 6, 2007
Prague
gsmarena

Well, what you say makes me a little bit happier, because there is a preview on gsmarena.com and they say HD2 sucks under the sunlight (though the overall preview is very positive, they say sun light legibility is poor)

ez2remember

Nov 4, 2008
I also read a post by xmoo who owns a HD2 said sunlight legibility sucked. :confused :confused:

Still no conclusive answer. I guess we need a photo comparison between iPhone, Touch HD and HD2.

hannawald

Aug 6, 2007
Prague
mobile-review

According to some pictures from mobile-review (there is a review in russian, google translate is not 100 procent), it looks not so bad (they say it´s better than on previous HTC devices)...problem is the screen reflects too much, but it looks to me colours are not washed out