Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 39,053 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Failed installing CM11 KitKat, how do I install this properly?

Tip us?

rwind
Old
(Last edited by rwind; 5th January 2014 at 07:04 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Failed installing CM11 KitKat, how do I install this properly?

The phone is rooted and unlocked. Other info:

JEWEL PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-2.09.0000
RADIO-1.13.11.0830
OpenDSP-v31.1.0.45.0815
eMMC-boot
Oct 18 2012 15:46:20
  • I have this: d-h.st/SUc version of TWRP installed (2.6.3.0).
  • I was following this video: youtube: v=OANqKp0tguE
  • After the ROM and GAPP installed I rebooted the phone and then the "HTC quietly brilliant" white logo screen looped infinitely.
Other things tried:
  • At some point after I got back into TWRP recovery I hit factory reset which wiped my SDCard and made it unmountable.
  • I fixed the unmount issue by formatting the drive on my computer (Win7 x64). I, again, loaded the CM11 Kitkat and the GAPPS back on the SDCard and tried to re-install it.
  • It seemed to install successfully but it said at the end "Unable to mount to '/cache' ".
  • Rebooted, infinite boot loop again. Went back in to recovery and wiped.
  • Found the stock rooted ROM, installed, and booted back in to the default OS.

So my questions is, how do I install Kitkat properly to the device? Or any custom ROM? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Magnum_Enforcer
Old
(Last edited by Magnum_Enforcer; 5th January 2014 at 07:37 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1851

DONATE TO ME
You have to install the kernel separately from the ROM since you're S-on. Hit the top link in my sig for more info. Also, make sure you're using the right recovery (the one posted in the CM11 thread, not on the TWRP site).

You should look at using the Rumrunner method to gain S-off on your phone.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum_Enforcer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rwind
Old
(Last edited by rwind; 5th January 2014 at 07:53 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
You have to install the kernel separately from the ROM since you're S-on. Hit the top link in my sig for more info. Also, make sure you're using the right recovery (the one posted in the CM11 thread, not on the TWRP site).

You should look at using the Rumrunner method to gain S-off on your phone.

Wow that first link is so informative! Thank you

Is there a significant risk of turning s-on to off? Does it make loading ROMs easier if I have S-Off?

I assume with my version I can only use rumrunner?

Magnum_Enforcer
Old
(Last edited by Magnum_Enforcer; 5th January 2014 at 08:49 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1851

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwind View Post
Wow that first link is so informative! Thank you

Is there a significant risk of turning s-on to off? Does it make loading ROMs easier if I have S-Off?

I assume with my version I can only use rumrunner?
You're welcome

"Significant risk" no. Risk, yes, but then again there is risk in everything in life. A little research and knowledge will help you have a better understanding of S-off versus S-on. It makes ROM flashing very simple, as all you have to do when S-off is flash the ROM zip once and that's it-no fooling with flashing the kernel separately, among other things. It allows a multitude of other things, also.

To answer your last question, yes, Rumrunner is the method you'll need to use being on the latest Hboot/firmware version.

The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum_Enforcer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rwind
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
You're welcome

"Significant risk" no. Risk, yes, but then again there is risk in everything in life. A little research and knowledge will help you have a better understanding of S-off versus S-on. It makes ROM flashing very simple, as all you have to do when S-off is flash the ROM zip once and that's it-no fooling with flashing the kernel separately, among other things. It allows a multitude of other things, also.

To answer your last question, yes, Rumrunner is the method you'll need to use being on the latest Hboot/firmware version.

I got rumrunner installed and working, tried installing CM11 Kitkat and everything went smooth and simple. Thank you!

You mentioned something about the TWRP, how do I know which version to get?

Magnum_Enforcer
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1851

DONATE TO ME
Use the version posted in the OP for the CM 11 thread.

Tags
boot loop, htc evo 4g lte, kit kat