5,606,465 Members 33,542 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 - ODIN "could not do normal boot"

Tip us?

McSonboy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
What I mean is that the way safe strap works is by running a different port instead of modifying the way original system ROM. Picture like a computer with multiple USB ports. The new ROM is like a USB thumb drive. You plug it in to run your program (in this case the new ROM) without actually modifying the system info. It's like a virtual port so as to not modify system data. I'm not sure if there are ROMs that won't work because they are not TouchWiz based. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

k1mu
Old
Thanks Meter 1255

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSonboy View Post
What I mean is that the way safe strap works is by running a different port instead of modifying the way original system ROM. Picture like a computer with multiple USB ports. The new ROM is like a USB thumb drive. You plug it in to run your program (in this case the new ROM) without actually modifying the system info. It's like a virtual port so as to not modify system data. I'm not sure if there are ROMs that won't work because they are not TouchWiz based. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
That's not how Safestrap works.

Safestrap basically allows the phone to boot, then just before the stock ROM begins executing start-up programs, it intervenes, mounts the ROM slot over the top of the original ROM (technically, it loopback mounts it and uses chroot() to make the mounted ROM the root file system).
Once the slot is loaded, the start-up scripts in that slot are allowed to run.

The Android Kernel that's used to run the slot is the stock kernel, so you can only run ROMs that will boot with the stock kernel.
The AOSP and CM ROMs have not been ported to the TouchWiz kernel, so they can't run on a Safestrap device.

And we can't change the kernel because the bootloader is locked and prohibits that. (Except for the MDK bootloader, which can be bypassed.)
My Android devices:
vzw Samsung Galaxy S4 stock MJ7, now rooted!
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, also stock but rooted.

VZ Droid Incredible 2 rooted but otherwise stock.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

McSonboy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1mu View Post
That's not how Safestrap works.

Safestrap basically allows the phone to boot, then just before the stock ROM begins executing start-up programs, it intervenes, mounts the ROM slot over the top of the original ROM (technically, it loopback mounts it and uses chroot() to make the mounted ROM the root file system).
Once the slot is loaded, the start-up scripts in that slot are allowed to run.

The Android Kernel that's used to run the slot is the stock kernel, so you can only run ROMs that will boot with the stock kernel.
The AOSP and CM ROMs have not been ported to the TouchWiz kernel, so they can't run on a Safestrap device.

And we can't change the kernel because the bootloader is locked and prohibits that. (Except for the MDK bootloader, which can be bypassed.)
Okay, thank you for the clarification. Well that stinks. And as of right now no one has figured out how to unlock to bootloader for this build?

riker147
Old
Thanks Meter 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSonboy View Post
Okay, thank you for the clarification. Well that stinks. And as of right now no one has figured out how to unlock to bootloader for this build?
If someone had figured it out, it would be posted all over this site. Based on everything I've read, the future is not looking to bright.

Sent from my NCC 1701 using Tapatalk 4
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________
Reading Is Fundamental

McSonboy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147 View Post
If someone had figured it out, it would be posted all over this site. Based on everything I've read, the future is not looking to bright.

Sent from my NCC 1701 using Tapatalk 4
Well ****...