5,598,938 Members 31,265 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Future Rooting of Chromecast?!

Tip us?
 
GermainZ
Old
#21  
GermainZ's Avatar
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3865
Posts: 4,082
Join Date: Aug 2012
No need to argue, peeps. If you think an answer is unclear, you can ask politely for clarification... and there is no need to keep arguing after one has been provided. Thread cleaned. Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GermainZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Kyonz
Old
#22  
Kyonz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 201
Posts: 160
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

 
DONATE TO ME
Just so everyone is aware of Team Eureka's stance on this, we are continually looking at rooting options however we've come up short thus far - we try not to talk about it too much as we don't want to dissuade anyone else from working on it (because we would love to see a root released no matter who does it!)

I personally have spent hours and hours testing things and probing chromecasts for things in an effort to find rootable paths however it is very locked down so we're honestly struggling and I can't see one in sight just yet (sorry guys, I know this isn't what you want to hear). Our efforts will continue but don't get your hopes up guys.

Also in regards to the issuing of updates, we're trying to balance usability with frequency of updates - right now there's a considerable time to apply updates (something which is in our list of things to address) so we are only releasing once we hit internal project milestones or to align with googles ota updates. (basically if it's cool and tested or if we think you need something google has put in then we spit one out for you folk to enjoy).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kyonz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
brianando
Old
#23  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 16
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta
Why would you need to root a chromecast? Not as useful yet
 
85gallon
Old
#24  
85gallon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 652
Posts: 2,153
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianando View Post
Why would you need to root a chromecast? Not as useful yet
So you have access to a lot more apps that will work with the CC.
Transmitter and Receiver Of Laser Light

If I helped, please hit the Thanks button. It only takes one finger.


 
Asphyx
Old
#25  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 209
Posts: 1,421
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianando View Post
Why would you need to root a chromecast? Not as useful yet
All about getting around the Whitelist.
In fact anyone who has plans to develop for the CCast probably needs root to test without the WHitelist getting in the way or a special way of putting the CCast into Dev Mode via the SDK for testing purposes.

Not exactly sure how Google is handling letting Devs get around the whitelist to test at the moment.
 
Kyonz
Old
#26  
Kyonz's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 201
Posts: 160
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
All about getting around the Whitelist.
In fact anyone who has plans to develop for the CCast probably needs root to test without the WHitelist getting in the way or a special way of putting the CCast into Dev Mode via the SDK for testing purposes.

Not exactly sure how Google is handling letting Devs get around the whitelist to test at the moment.
They have a process where you apply for your device to be whitelisted and you choose the custom url of your app and they provide a custom whitelist for you when your device checks in allowing the app to connect to that url. It's still pretty restrictive but it at least allows you to test well enough.

My favourite thing about rooting is the custom DNS (not being from the US this makes it soo much nicer to set to my custom DNS provider) however I promise we're working on some stuff to make it even better to be the owner of a rooted device!
 
Asphyx
Old
#27  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 209
Posts: 1,421
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyonz View Post
They have a process where you apply for your device to be whitelisted and you choose the custom url of your app and they provide a custom whitelist for you when your device checks in allowing the app to connect to that url. It's still pretty restrictive but it at least allows you to test well enough.

My favourite thing about rooting is the custom DNS (not being from the US this makes it soo much nicer to set to my custom DNS provider) however I promise we're working on some stuff to make it even better to be the owner of a rooted device!
Thanks for the explanation it makes sense...Now we just need 10K devs all requesting access at the same time to make Google say this REGISTERING THING is a PITA....Lets just open it up and get rid of the Whitelisting! LOL

Well I'm sure Team Eureka has barely scratched the surface on what could be done with a custom Rom....
I suspect you are reverse engineering the releases as I guess they have not released any ROM source to help with, have they?

I would love to have one Rooted unit to play with what your doing but I missed out and since the unit is doing most of why I got it it's a bit less important to me.....

I didn't mean to sound like it is pointless at all just not much reason for ME (personally) to fret over not having it! LOL

Something I would like you to look at to see if it is viable in the future...
Is it possible to add the Network drivers for a USB Wired ETH Dongle using the same cable that Flashcast uses?
I think that would be a great boon to the device. No more reception issues and no more network limitations on Video Bitrate, Just send as much as the hardware can handle.
 
akarol
Old
#28  
akarol's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 223
Posts: 1,878
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orlando
Personally, the o lá reason I have for root G my CCs is Allcast by Koush. I want to be able to stream all the videos and pictures from my device already.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Device: Black Nexus 5 (32GB)
ROM: Droidkang v19
Kernel: ElementalX 0.34


Device: Nexus 7 (16GB)
ROM: Stock 4.4 (KitKat) - Rooted
Kernel: ElementalX 2.10
 
bhiga
Old
#29  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557
Posts: 1,575
Join Date: Oct 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarol View Post
Personally, the o lá reason I have for root G my CCs is Allcast by Koush. I want to be able to stream all the videos and pictures from my device already.
You can do that even with a stock Chromecast via RealPlayer Cloud (free) or Avia (paid option - $2.99)...

Same restrictions - if the video is not compatible with Chromecast, it won't play.
If it's not compatible, RealPlayer Cloud will ask you if you want to upload it to RealPlayer Cloud (where their SurePlay feature will do the transcoding for you), while Avia will just tell you the video may not be compatible.

The more-universal solution for mixed media that includes non-Chromecast-compatible stuff is Plex, which also doesn't require root.

So, while Allcast is cool for root, root is no longer a necessity for the purpose of playing locally-stored media.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes