Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,201 Members 52,204 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Embarrassingly noob question..

Tip us?

Fankhanelraul
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Embarrassingly noob question..

I am embarrassed to have to ask this since I've had android phones for 3 years now.

But to install a new custom recovery... Is it really as easy as just flashing it with my current recovery? I ask of course because I am trying to get kitkat and I was getting error 7. Which, after research led me to believe I need to update my recovery. I've used Download mode before, but I don't know if that is necessary. I've never messed with it before because if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of deal. Any instructions and/or recovery recommendations for me?

wyelkins
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Yes, it is that easy. You can install zips for the newest versions of CWM, TWRP, or PHILZ from your current recovery.

Of course you may not be able to restore your old backups. But you can flash back to the old recovery to restore these too.

Most people are changing to different recoveries because of recent changes in Android that makes it trickier to flash the newer Roms.

I personally switched from TWRP to Philz. It is CWM based, but will also restore TWRP backups. Phil is very receptive to questions and had made his recovery available on a lot of devices, more being added every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to wyelkins For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Fankhanelraul
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you, it's much appreciated! I am looking into Philz now!