5,593,650 Members 39,172 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Stock unrooted and bricked? Help

Tip us?

Pandae
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I may have taken something for granted. Did you unlock the bootloader?

fastboot oem unlock
The Following User Says Thank You to Pandae For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wildside84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandae View Post
I may have taken something for granted. Did you unlock the bootloader?

fastboot oem unlock
no and whats funny is I just got done trying that before i read your message. i restarted the device and my computer and just decided to see if it would dirty flash the flash-all.bat and it was actually going through not giving the write errors but did say bootloader is locked. so i typed fastboot oem unlock and the screen popped up on the device to say yes or no. i selected yes and it, again, got stuck for 10-15 minutes on erasing data...rebooted the device, unlock appears to have failed. argh
Current phone: T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3
Current tablet: Nexus 7 2013

Pandae
Old
Thanks Meter 39
If you power down and reboot back into the bootloader, it still says unlocked? What if you try unlocking again?

wildside84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
If you power down and reboot back into the bootloader, it still says unlocked? What if you try unlocking again?
it says the bootloader is locked. i am trying again right now. i get to the yes no screen, select yes and on the command prompt it is stuck on erasing userdata

Pandae
Old
Thanks Meter 39
I've never seen it take very long. Let it sit for a while, maybe plug it in and just wait?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pandae For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wildside84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
I've never seen it take very long. Let it sit for a while, maybe plug it in and just wait?
ill let it sit, but i think there is something wrong with the device. i had a similar prob with a gs2 and it wouldnt erase or write anything to partition. would usb debugging have to have already been enabled? i cant remember if that was checked or not. or does that matter?

Pandae
Old
Thanks Meter 39
USB debugging is necessary for connecting once the tablet has booted into Android, but it isn't needed for fastboot and the bootloader level. At this point I fear there's more corruption than can be fixed, but let's wait a little while and see.

wildside84
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
USB debugging is necessary for connecting once the tablet has booted into Android, but it isn't needed for fastboot and the bootloader level. At this point I fear there's more corruption than can be fixed, but let's wait a little while and see.
Just received an email from Google support. They are unwilling to help because I purchased the device from Best Buy rather than Google Play...WTH? Best Buy won't help either I won't even bother. At this point I'll have to hope Asus will take it in for repair. That kind of bummed me out about Google. Not sure if I want to buy another nexus device again now.

VerlyAnanda
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside84 View Post
no commands work. on erase recovery command it says failed command write failed invalid argument

edit: fastboot boot recovery fails also "command write failed unknown error"

edit: i get a lot of fastboot.exe has stopped working errors on windows. redownloaded platform tools and still happens. I'm at a loss I guess I have to get Google to replace it entirely
use usb jig and flash via odin nice work

Pandae
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside84 View Post
Just received an email from Google support. They are unwilling to help because I purchased the device from Best Buy rather than Google Play...WTH? Best Buy won't help either I won't even bother. At this point I'll have to hope Asus will take it in for repair. That kind of bummed me out about Google. Not sure if I want to buy another nexus device again now.
Is Google writing the book "How Not to Stand Behind Your Product"? Sheesh!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck and speedy repairs to you. I must admit that with the touchscreen problems, and that it took someone who isn't a Google employee to fix it for a lot of people, all while Google is still silent, I myself don't care to buy another product by Google and/or Asus.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerlyAnanda View Post
use usb jig and flash via odin nice work
Odin is for Samsung devices, unless something's happened I didn't hear about.