[Q] Ubuntu on Note 3

Tip us?

zandaqo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Ubuntu on Note 3

Hi folks,
Has anybody actually tried running Ubuntu Desktop on Note 3 either through "Linux on Android" or dual booting?
If so, were you able to run Unity or any other desktop environment?
And finally performace, is it good enough to work in say LibreOffice without much pain?

CoolPyr0
Old
Thanks Meter 7
still not for note 3 yet

zandaqo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
This is what I found on Linux on Android site, regarding Note 3 9005:
Quote:
Mknod permission denied
Had to gut the bootscript and recreate without all the checks
Essentially the new bootscript contains no checks just the commands and is around 35 lines long.
Running the new bootscript still causes mknod permission denied, however, if you open the bootscript in a text editor copy all and paste into the terminal and execute line by line, you get into the chrooted environment.

Tested : ubuntu 13.04 , 13.10 large
What works:
Ssh server
Apt-get
Nano
Ping
Traceroute
And a lot of terminal stuff

What does not:
Mc : garbled
Vnc : dbus error
Aircrack-ng : no monitoring mode
Installing another graphical environment: install fails , due to 2 package errors

Ultimately moderately useful but mc is a real loss.

zandaqo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
According to this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1887
Ubuntu should work on Note 3 without the problems described above.
I wonder about performance though, does this solution allow Ubuntu to utilize all four cores and available RAM or run it as a single process under Android.

lilstevie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 996

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandaqo View Post
Hi folks,
Has anybody actually tried running Ubuntu Desktop on Note 3 either through "Linux on Android" or dual booting?
I would do it like I did with the tf101 and the tf201 but honestly I am not keen on triggering knox

As for capability, when booted natively there will be some things that won't work right at first due to qDSP signed binaries needing to be uploaded to hexagon. Capability wise though it should be fine, with 3GB ram and an S800 it should outperform the TF201 at pretty much every task under linux.
The Following User Says Thank You to lilstevie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zandaqo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
I would do it like I did with the tf101 and the tf201 but honestly I am not keen on triggering knox
If we manage to root without triggering knox, I guess we can also run "Linux on Android" without triggering it. Though installing natively is out of question in this case.