Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,956 Members 48,900 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Low screen gamma

Tip us?

powerballad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Low screen gamma

Does anyone else's screen have very low gamma? Using Display Tester app I get a value of 1.4. A standard lcd screen should have a value of 2.2. I also notice this when viewing video in that darks parts of the image have low contrast. Changing the display mode or brightness does not seem to make a difference to the gamma. I think I will take the unit to a Samsung center and ask about it.

I have a black P605 16Gb.

BarryH_GEG
Old
Thanks Meter 4,150
Anandtech did some pretty exhaustive testing of the N10.1-14's display. I think they would have caught what you've described.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7378/s...ition-review/3

nielo360
Old
(Last edited by nielo360; 6th January 2014 at 08:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 22
This is exactly what i was posting about , the gamma is broken on note 2014. Sure the colors look great but hallf the time you cant see many things in games which shud be clearly visible i dont get how more ppl havent noticed this. Only workaround is to set the brightness way up n use movie mode

powerballad
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
There is something wrong with the back lightning. If viewed from an angle, especially diagonally, the screen gets washed out. This is more appearant when in a dark room viewing a dark image. Having my iPad 3 next to it and it does not have the same problem. I guess it's the same problem that some nexus 5 users have. Going post a comparison image later if I get around to it.

nielo360
Old
(Last edited by nielo360; 6th January 2014 at 10:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerballad View Post
There is something wrong with the back lightning. If viewed from an angle, especially diagonally, the screen gets washed out. This is more appearant when in a dark room viewing a dark image. Having my iPad 3 next to it and it does not have the same problem. I guess it's the same problem that some nexus 5 users have. Going post a comparison image later if I get around to it.
yes its the case with all note 2014's i think because the ones at my local samsung store on display were the same way, however i think this has to do with it being LCD technology (also as the review above states they are using some sort of non traditional white on this display) not super lcd. On the plus side you may however notice the wash out is only most apparent on black or darker areas.

Im not sure why the calibrated the gamma this way though.
Tags
gamma, lcd, screen