5,597,937 Members 38,784 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Custom Notification Sound, But Default Sound Also Triggers?!

Tip us?
 
boba7523
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 44
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Custom Notification Sound, But Default Sound Also Triggers?!

Hi everyone,

In my apps such as Whatsapp,Gmail and Messages, I set up Notification Sound within the app to a custom sound that I have. However, when I receive a message, both the default notification sound (the one I set up in Settings > Sounds) still triggers as well as my custom notification sound. This completely defeats the purpose of setting up custom sounds.

Is there a way to turn off the stock notification sound when I set a custom notification sound in my apps?
 
Solarenemy68
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 103
Posts: 619
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by boba7523 View Post
Hi everyone,

In my apps such as Whatsapp,Gmail and Messages, I set up Notification Sound within the app to a custom sound that I have. However, when I receive a message, both the default notification sound (the one I set up in Settings > Sounds) still triggers as well as my custom notification sound. This completely defeats the purpose of setting up custom sounds.

Is there a way to turn off the stock notification sound when I set a custom notification sound in my apps?
Set your default to the same custom sound...
 
boba7523
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 44
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarenemy68 View Post
Set your default to the same custom sound...
That would defeat the purpose of giving different apps different notification sounds ...

Does anyone else have this issue and know a solution?
 
boba7523
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 44
Join Date: Jun 2013
bump. no one has this issue?!
 
Solarenemy68
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 103
Posts: 619
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by boba7523 View Post
bump. no one has this issue?!
Apparently you are the only one.

What I meant by my previous post was to set your default sound to the same sound as your custom sound. That way when it does sound you will only hear your custom sound. Also make sure your custom sound is actually a compatible sound meaning an mp3.
 
boba7523
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 44
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarenemy68 View Post
Apparently you are the only one.

What I meant by my previous post was to set your default sound to the same sound as your custom sound. That way when it does sound you will only hear your custom sound. Also make sure your custom sound is actually a compatible sound meaning an mp3.

Ok say I set my default sound to the same as my custom sound.

If I wanted a different notification sound for WhatsApp and Viber, how do I achieve that?
 
Solarenemy68
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 103
Posts: 619
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas
Quote:
Originally Posted by boba7523 View Post
Ok say I set my default sound to the same as my custom sound.

If I wanted a different notification sound for WhatsApp and Viber, how do I achieve that?
Those apps should have their own internal notification sounds that would override system sounds and play their sound independent of the system. Make sure you do not have AT&T messenger active or set as default. It brings all your messages into one location from all sources and as a result also combines all sounds to the same.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Android Control Center Becomes Quick Control Panel, Brings Host of New Features

You may recall that back in August of last year, we talked … more

Polish Your Custom Themes with Theme Debugger

Creating a custom Android theme from scratch can be quite the laborious task. In addition to … more

Clean Up Your Logcat Code with Lib Cleaner

Some of you may think that writing code is the hardest part of development. It’s not, as the … more

Tweak Your Xperia Device’s Camera App Yourself

We’ve come to expect nearly perfect cameraperformancein our modern day … more