XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

CM 11 vs Stock TW 4.3

Tip us?

dvaderx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Default CM 11 vs Stock TW 4.3

I've been off stock TW for a while now, switched to Carbon until nightlies stopped and then jumped on the kit-kat bandwagon and ended up on CM11 official for the last month.
Today I decided to try out the 4.3 TW rom that is out.

For those who may be curious here is my very generic review.
I think the virtues of CM over stock are clear. CM is quick, light and full of customization's (especially with xposed)
But the drawbacks are the drivers. The RIL, camera wrapper, blue tooth. etc
I have pretty good 4g in my metro area, but where i live, i'm kind of on the edge. so I stay on wifi all of the time.
If i have to go off I get 2-4 bars of 3g and 1-2 bars of 4g.
With the CM 11 rom, I would barely get 1 bar of 4g, but it would most often switch to 1-2 bars of 3g.
I did a speed test and I got about .34 (that's 1/3 of a mb) /sec. so it was pretty slow.

When i loaded the 4.3 rom I was surprised that I held 2 bars of 4g almost the entire time I was off wifi.
I did a speed test and was getting 11mb down
Now, when i'm in a strong 4g area (as i drive towards the city) i get pretty good 4g on CM11, but at my house it's just not there.

So i spent a while wondering is switching to TW worth the signal gain that i would get. I was pretty happy on kit kat, it's quick and clean and i really enjoy how it feels. going "back" to TW 4.3 was hard, but with Wanam installed I was able to customize enough and freeze most of the bloat with TB.

Soo the main reason for posting this is due to the increased ability to hold on and utilize a 4g signal with stock.
If anybody was curious about the grass being greener on the other side, well it depends on your usage.
if your signal hungry and need your stuff to work consistently, go with 4.3 TW
If you live under a tower and want kit kat go with CM11
The Following User Says Thank You to dvaderx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

omair2005
Old
Thanks Meter 624
I'm on TW 4.3 as well after Beanstalk 4.4. I almost forgot how much better the camera looks on TW. Its like night and day versus anything based on CM.

My current setup is:
Greenified apps
Debloated/Froze as much as I wanted (I keep svoice for the camera control)
Winam

For the kernel I use trickster:
Raise voltages by +25 (even though my phone is a "fast" pvc)
2048/row
msm-dcvs
tcp congestion = yeah
zram = on

Now I'm debating whether or not to flash Crossbreeder..
Samsung Galaxy S III Verizon
The Following User Says Thank You to omair2005 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13091
Comparisons of roms generates arguments, users are encouraged to try them all and make their own determinations as to what works best for them.

Usage and experiences differ for everyone.
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naddict For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe