Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker Announced, Available

The wearable market has been around for a few years, with Pebble and Samsung smartwatches … more

Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

How to Play Music From Android Wear – XDA TV

Yesterday, we showed you how to do some advanced things with your Moto 360 quite easily … more

Google Updates Play Games, Wallet, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Google+, and Camera

While we haven’t really had much in the way of … more
Post Reply

[Q] unlocking bootloader

OP s.t.25

3rd January 2014, 09:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
hello, i have the xperia z1 on 4.3 build 14.2.A.0.290. it was updated through sony pc companion. It is currently completely stock. but i have a couple of n00b questions, so please take it easy on me, i have done lots of reading and i am just confused now.

how do i unlock my bootloader if my pc can not find the " s1 fastboot driver" ? / whats the easiest way?

once unlocked, can i flash a rom that is capable of root? or already has root?

i used to flash roms with my old phone but that was basic compared to this stuff, its a big step up from motorola defy to the xperia z1. so please take it easy on me, i have been lurking around here for ages but im just so confused now. but i thank anyone who can help in advance!
thank you
3rd January 2014, 11:21 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 46
 
255 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.t.25

hello, i have the xperia z1 on 4.3 build 14.2.A.0.290. it was updated through sony pc companion. It is currently completely stock. but i have a couple of n00b questions, so please take it easy on me, i have done lots of reading and i am just confused now.

how do i unlock my bootloader if my pc can not find the " s1 fastboot driver" ? / whats the easiest way?

once unlocked, can i flash a rom that is capable of root? or already has root?

i used to flash roms with my old phone but that was basic compared to this stuff, its a big step up from motorola defy to the xperia z1. so please take it easy on me, i have been lurking around here for ages but im just so confused now. but i thank anyone who can help in advance!
thank you

I installed [TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [7-18-13] and had no problems getting fastboot to talk.

Once you're unlocked, you can flash any custom kernel and any ROM you like. There's a thread on how to unlock 4.3, but it's not for beginners. You're better off just flashing a pre-rooted ROM.
4th January 2014, 12:08 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Thank you for your help. I've managed to unlock it but I ended up using flash tool as I found a guide to show how to install the required drivers for the s1 fastboot. So now I am on the hunt for roms, would you or anyone else suggest a rom that is better on battery life but still very snappy? Thank you again, I do appreciate it

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app
4th January 2014, 08:03 AM   |  #4  
TagEHeuer's Avatar
Senior Member
Bristol
Thanks Meter: 68
 
220 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.t.25

Thank you for your help. I've managed to unlock it but I ended up using flash tool as I found a guide to show how to install the required drivers for the s1 fastboot. So now I am on the hunt for roms, would you or anyone else suggest a rom that is better on battery life but still very snappy? Thank you again, I do appreciate it

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

Personally I'm using Pure Stock by iHackers http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2579270

Highly recommend.
The Following User Says Thank You to TagEHeuer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th January 2014, 02:01 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
8 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Thank you very much, the minimal version looks perfect for me, but before I do install the minimal one, could you tell me how to go about creating a backup of my rom / data n stuff at the moment. Because I understand that because my bootloader is unlocked, I don't have to install a recovery? But surely it's easier to create a backup with recovery and reinstall that at a later date than to install another stock ftf and losing all my data.

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app
6th January 2014, 03:53 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 46
 
255 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.t.25

Thank you very much, the minimal version looks perfect for me, but before I do install the minimal one, could you tell me how to go about creating a backup of my rom / data n stuff at the moment. Because I understand that because my bootloader is unlocked, I don't have to install a recovery? But surely it's easier to create a backup with recovery and reinstall that at a later date than to install another stock ftf and losing all my data.

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

I would root your current ROM, install TiBu, and use that to backup. Otherwise, you can flash a recovery and use that to do a complete backup. On your next ROM, TiBu (Pro, probably) can restore from either kind of backup. I hope you knew to backup the TA partition before unlocking the bootloader!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Xperia Z1 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank