Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,988 Members 44,487 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] unlocking bootloader

Tip us?

s.t.25
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Lightbulb [Q] unlocking bootloader

hello, i have the xperia z1 on 4.3 build 14.2.A.0.290. it was updated through sony pc companion. It is currently completely stock. but i have a couple of n00b questions, so please take it easy on me, i have done lots of reading and i am just confused now.

how do i unlock my bootloader if my pc can not find the " s1 fastboot driver" ? / whats the easiest way?

once unlocked, can i flash a rom that is capable of root? or already has root?

i used to flash roms with my old phone but that was basic compared to this stuff, its a big step up from motorola defy to the xperia z1. so please take it easy on me, i have been lurking around here for ages but im just so confused now. but i thank anyone who can help in advance!
thank you

xasbo
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.t.25 View Post
hello, i have the xperia z1 on 4.3 build 14.2.A.0.290. it was updated through sony pc companion. It is currently completely stock. but i have a couple of n00b questions, so please take it easy on me, i have done lots of reading and i am just confused now.

how do i unlock my bootloader if my pc can not find the " s1 fastboot driver" ? / whats the easiest way?

once unlocked, can i flash a rom that is capable of root? or already has root?

i used to flash roms with my old phone but that was basic compared to this stuff, its a big step up from motorola defy to the xperia z1. so please take it easy on me, i have been lurking around here for ages but im just so confused now. but i thank anyone who can help in advance!
thank you
I installed [TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [7-18-13] and had no problems getting fastboot to talk.

Once you're unlocked, you can flash any custom kernel and any ROM you like. There's a thread on how to unlock 4.3, but it's not for beginners. You're better off just flashing a pre-rooted ROM.

s.t.25
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you for your help. I've managed to unlock it but I ended up using flash tool as I found a guide to show how to install the required drivers for the s1 fastboot. So now I am on the hunt for roms, would you or anyone else suggest a rom that is better on battery life but still very snappy? Thank you again, I do appreciate it

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

TagEHeuer
Old
Thanks Meter 66

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thank you for your help. I've managed to unlock it but I ended up using flash tool as I found a guide to show how to install the required drivers for the s1 fastboot. So now I am on the hunt for roms, would you or anyone else suggest a rom that is better on battery life but still very snappy? Thank you again, I do appreciate it

Personally I'm using Pure Stock by iHackers http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2579270

Highly recommend.

I actively donate to people who are helpful towards others and myself. Be it a small amount or a large amount. I will try my best to thank you with a donation.
The Following User Says Thank You to TagEHeuer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

s.t.25
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you very much, the minimal version looks perfect for me, but before I do install the minimal one, could you tell me how to go about creating a backup of my rom / data n stuff at the moment. Because I understand that because my bootloader is unlocked, I don't have to install a recovery? But surely it's easier to create a backup with recovery and reinstall that at a later date than to install another stock ftf and losing all my data.

xasbo
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Thank you very much, the minimal version looks perfect for me, but before I do install the minimal one, could you tell me how to go about creating a backup of my rom / data n stuff at the moment. Because I understand that because my bootloader is unlocked, I don't have to install a recovery? But surely it's easier to create a backup with recovery and reinstall that at a later date than to install another stock ftf and losing all my data.

I would root your current ROM, install TiBu, and use that to backup. Otherwise, you can flash a recovery and use that to do a complete backup. On your next ROM, TiBu (Pro, probably) can restore from either kind of backup. I hope you knew to backup the TA partition before unlocking the bootloader!