[Q] Replacing the Contacts App

Search This thread

titanshadow

Feb 17, 2012
Lexington, KY
home.blazingumbra.com
I'm looking for a way to replace my Samsung GS3's contacts app with an ASOP style app (CM would be best for me). I used to run CM but through a long story my phone was returned to stock and had the 4.3 OTA installed on it. I'm stuck now.

I managed to replace the Samsung Email app with the CM 10.2 version of same and thanks to Google releasing their Calendar app on the Play Store I just disabled S Planner (hate it) and use that. The only one left is the god-awful contacts app. I tried using the same process I did for the email app, which was to wipe data and remove the Samsung email apps accounts and then use Titanium Backup to uninstall it. I then went and put the Email.apk file from CyanogenMod 10.2 in its place. Worked like a charm for email but the contacts app keeps telling me there is an error with the package when I do this.

I also tried using both Contacts.apk and ContactsProvider.apk but that didn't work either. Anyone have an ideas? The problem is no matter what I do the system won't recognize Contacts.apk as an app and list it.

Any help would be appreciated.

silentmage

Dec 16, 2010
I'm pretty sure the contacts app relies on the phone app as well to work properly. You might be better off trying to find a contacts app from the store that is similar to CM