XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Frustrated!!

Tip us?

cncboy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Frustrated!!

I love my Continuum but for the last two weeks it has been behaving badly...unsolicited reboots, taking forever to activate the phone, etc. My thinking is I've got nothing to lose by upgrading from Froyo (2.2.2) to GB in the hopes of regaining some performance. I'm a noob and based on what I've read here and other places I needed to downloaded the drivers, Odin3 v1.85, garnett_3.pit and SCH-I400-EG04-Ginger-Rel.tar.md5. Then follow these steps:

1. Download and Install USB Drivers
2. Download and Install Odin
3. Put phone in Download mode by holding Vol- and Power buttons simultaneously to get to Samsung Recovery Utilities
4. Start Odin
5. Connect phone to computer with USB cable
6. Wait until a Device is detected on COM port ( get a yellow box indication)
7. Map to .PIT file on PC
8. Map to .MD5 file on PC
9. Verify re-partition, auto reboot and F. Reset Time boxes are selected
10. Go...

Step 6 was never reached (device detection) when I put the phone in Download mode per Step 3. I left the PC-phone connected for nearly an hour and nothing. So I took a chance and turned on USB debugging and just plugged it in. Success! Odin indicated a device detected. Proceeded with the rest of the steps above to a point where the following messages appear in the Message Box:

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> SCH-I400-EG04-GINGER-REL.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..

And I wait. And wait. And wait some more. After 15 minutes, still nothing. PC is quiet, too. When I've convinced myself that I've given it enough time, I dismount the PC/phone connection and the following messages appear:

<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/005> Removed!!

What am I'm doing wrong or need to try to complete the upgrade? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
cncboy

trailblazer101
Old
(Last edited by trailblazer101; 3rd December 2013 at 01:03 AM.)
Thanks Meter 292

DONATE TO ME
I'd try Heimdall, see if that'll help If you need help with that, let me know. Basically you need to extract The *.tar file using 7-zip, then load up each file one at a time in said program...

EDIT: it's been a while, but I remember this happening when I was using a wrong PIT file. I don't know if that's what's going on, but just an idea.
Samsung Continuum, The Phone That Could-- With a Community To Match.
The Following User Says Thank You to trailblazer101 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cncboy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Curious...

Thanks, Trailblazer. I found a video on youtube that supposedly does what I'm trying to do. I'd post the link but I haven't had 10 posts yet. If you're interested, it can be found on youtube. The title of the video is "How to Update Samsung SCH I400 to Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread"

I downloaded the same pit and tar files that the guy in the video did. Are the drivers supposed to be anyplace special on my computer? I choose the default when executing the install and it created a folder at C:\Program Files\SAMSUNG. I'm running this on Win XP.

Thanks!

jaycush
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncboy View Post
Thanks, Trailblazer. I found a video on youtube that supposedly does what I'm trying to do. I'd post the link but I haven't had 10 posts yet. If you're interested, it can be found on youtube. The title of the video is "How to Update Samsung SCH I400 to Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread"

I downloaded the same pit and tar files that the guy in the video did. Are the drivers supposed to be anyplace special on my computer? I choose the default when executing the install and it created a folder at C:\Program Files\SAMSUNG. I'm running this on Win XP.

Thanks!
The GB files need to be combined if you got them from here.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaycush For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]