Guys, please - that's not the point!
Originally Posted by timmaaa
Stop trying RUU's from random places, go to this site: (... it doesn't let me keep the link ...)
That's exactly the site I got my other RUU from. The first one that I tried was from HTC website and had this filename: "RUU_EVITA_UL_JB_45_S_Cingular_US_3.18.502.6_Radio _0.24p.32.09.06_10.130.32.34_release_signed_With_P artial.exe". It says "EVITA" as plainly as it could. I am aware of that.
The thing is: both didn't work. OK, I'm going to try another one just for the sake of completeness, but with two previous attempts the story was the same:
1) Turn on the phone holding volume-
2) Select FASTBOOT
3) Connect to USB
4) Launch RUU
5) Click through dialogs, agree to everything
6) Message appears "Verifying information..."
7) New dialog pops up allowing me to select the 3.18.502.6 update
8) I click Next -> Next -> ...
9) The dialog opens with a message that the phone is being "prepared" for update and it will be rebooted to bootloader
10) Phone reboots and goes to the 'quietly brilliant' screen (or more recently - just black screen)
11) Computer shows message "Waiting for bootloader"
12) Computer times out -> the only available option is Exit.
End of story for me. Is there a way to somehow fix that? I'm OK with doing stuff from cmd - it's just that none of the tips I found in this forum actually worked. For example, adb always ends up with error 'device not found' and fastboot only works while the phone is in the fastboot menu, but does not let me flash anything.