XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nexus 7 Erratic Touchscreen - Android 4.4

Tip us?

Shrek77
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by x92 View Post
Yes, I have touchscreen problem noticeable after updated to kitkat.
Did anyone try to play jelly splash on nexus 7?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...a.jelly_splash
This game works awfully on my nexus 7 as the connected line broke prematurely when my finger never left the touchscreen at all.
Anyone face same problem with the game as me?
I just tried it on mine and it works with no issues. I just returned my first one yesterday and got it replaced. What a difference. The first one had three spots that didn't hardly ever register touches. Up top center, bottom center, and bottom left. Swiping on the keyboard was annoying it messed up by the h often. Moving Icons around the top or bottom took several tries. Sometimes even unlocking the screen was difficult. Playing games like nova and dead trigger when moving the gun around it would miss my touch or jitter. The new tablet has no touch issues knock on wood. The strange part is the physical buttons, (power and volumes) actually stick out farther making them easier to find.

Zilliman
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek77 View Post
I just tried it on mine and it works with no issues. I just returned my first one yesterday and got it replaced. What a difference. The first one had three spots that didn't hardly ever register touches. Up top center, bottom center, and bottom left. Swiping on the keyboard was annoying it messed up by the h often. Moving Icons around the top or bottom took several tries. Sometimes even unlocking the screen was difficult. Playing games like nova and dead trigger when moving the gun around it would miss my touch or jitter. The new tablet has no touch issues knock on wood. The strange part is the physical buttons, (power and volumes) actually stick out farther making them easier to find.
Try the three finger test. Lay the tablet on a table. Run the multitouch application. Place two fingers in one direction, say horizontally, a few cms apart. It is important that the two points are on a line parallel with one of the tablet's sides, ie either horizontally or vertically. With the other hand place one finger directly below one of the points above, and you will see one of the points disappearing, usually the one above. If the point does not disappear altogether, it will "jump" left and right, even though you are not moving at all.

Now plug the USB in, and it is solid as a rock, no lost touches, no jerking on the screen, nothing.

This happens all the time, not just some times, and it clearly demonstrates a hardware fault.

I am tempted to give mine back in case the replacement is better, but I doubt it.

Shrek77
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilliman View Post
Try the three finger test. Lay the tablet on a table. Run the multitouch application. Place two fingers in one direction, say horizontally, a few cms apart. It is important that the two points are on a line parallel with one of the tablet's sides, ie either horizontally or vertically. With the other hand place one finger directly below one of the points above, and you will see one of the points disappearing, usually the one above. If the point does not disappear altogether, it will "jump" left and right, even though you are not moving at all.

Now plug the USB in, and it is solid as a rock, no lost touches, no jerking on the screen, nothing.

This happens all the time, not just some times, and it clearly demonstrates a hardware fault.

I am tempted to give mine back in case the replacement is better, but I doubt it.
On occasion it goes away or jerks when laying flat on the couch. But i'm not going to be doing anything with the tablet laying down somewhere. I use it in my hands so this has no effect on it's daily use. What are you going to use your tablet for that you will have three fingers on it at one time in the almost perfect shape of a triangle when its laying on something soft? In practical daily use this does have no effect on usage. Just a strange technical glitch. Who knows how many other devices have the same thing happen given this scenario. We will not know because this abstract test gives no true value to decree a hardware fault. Weird yes, but important no. The first one I had made me upset with an actual screen defect but so far I am happy with this one.