[Q] Rooted S4 (Verizon) no Nandroid backup / restore option in recovery

OP DroidForPresident

6th January 2014, 12:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Hi Guys, and thank you in advance for reading this post, I have looked in several places and cannot find a solution. When I boot into recovery, there is no option to backup and restore, I am rooted on Stock Android 4.2.2. Baseband: VRUAMDK. I tried switching out SD cards from my extFAT 64GB card to a FAT32 GB card, no go, I am also running into the same exact issue on my galaxy note 8.0. If anyone could help me out I would highly appreciate it! Thank you in advance! I really want to try a different ROM but want to perform a nandroid backup just in case. Thanks!
6th January 2014, 02:11 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 220

889 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidForPresident

Hi Guys, and thank you in advance for reading this post, I have looked in several places and cannot find a solution. When I boot into recovery, there is no option to backup and restore, I am rooted on Stock Android 4.2.2. Baseband: VRUAMDK. I tried switching out SD cards from my extFAT 64GB card to a FAT32 GB card, no go, I am also running into the same exact issue on my galaxy note 8.0. If anyone could help me out I would highly appreciate it! Thank you in advance! I really want to try a different ROM but want to perform a nandroid backup just in case. Thanks!

Which custom recovery are you running?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to wtherrell For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2014, 02:33 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
I downloaded ROM manager because I was under the assumption that I was running CWM. I'm still a newbie so please excuse my ignorance. I did root using Odin.
6th January 2014, 03:25 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 8

83 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidForPresident

Did you install a custom recovery? Stock recovery doesn't allow you to make nandroid backups or flash roms via recovery. If rooted you could try latest installing recovery via Rom manager. Or flash a custom recovery via odin.
The Following User Says Thank You to sulla65 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulla65

Did you install a custom recovery? Stock recovery doesn't allow you to make nandroid backups or flash roms via recovery. If rooted you could try latest installing recovery via Rom manager. Or flash a custom recovery via odin.

Thanks for the response, I tried installing CWM via rom manager but it doesn't seem to be working at all, tried several times and nothing, how can I install via Odin? I cannot find instructions on doing this for the Verizon Galaxy S4 (SCH-I545) I still have not accepted the OTA update from Verizon so I am still fully rooted and running stock android version 4.2.2
Last edited by DroidForPresident; 6th January 2014 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling errors
6th January 2014, 07:42 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

5 posts
Thumbs up TWRP seems to be the go to recovery for the S4 on Verizon
I think I finally have it, and contrary of what I read it seems to be working on my 64GB exFAT SD card. I will let you know shortly if it backed everything up

The problem was CWM wouldn't install so I went here teamw.in/project/twrp2/181 and just downloaded GooManager and read their instructions: Tap menu then hit Install OpenRecoveryScript. Tap Yes. Verify that the filename displays your device's code name and hit Yes. The file will download and your device will install the recovery automatically.

I then booted into recovery and BAM! there was the backup option, I have 10GB to backup so I needed it to backup on my SD card, thought it would be a problem since I read that it wasn't possible to perform a nandroid backup on a 64GB SD formatted as exFAT but it seems to be working, will update once complete, it might take a while to backup all that data
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread