Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,156 Members 40,297 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Omni on the NEXUS 7 3G

Tip us?

nikkarat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Omni on the NEXUS 7 3G

Hello All,

I decided to update my Nexus 7 3G and after some considerations between CM11 and Omni 2 days ago I installed Omni with no issues. After 2 days of intensive use everything works fine with some minnor issues which I don't know if they are Omni specific.

1. Battery-When Nexus is on it seems that doesn't charge with Omni kernel. With r77 of Franco Kernel it charges normally.
2. Keyboard-Stock Google keyboard when active and with Nexus connected to WiFi uses data evef if not used. 11.5M in few minuted. I installed Swiftkey, deactivated Google Keyboard and now no data use.
3. OpenDelta-My first update was fine with no problems. Just a note: OpenDelta downloaded some files after it booted to recovery (TRWP 2.6.3.1) to finisg the installation. After that in the OpenDelta directory there a file of 265.7M. How is it possible?

I don't know if the above issues are ROM specific or else. Anyone had the some issues?
Thanks

AngryHapposai
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Google keyboard fetching data is a known issue, but it's a Gapps problem.
Omni uses the AOSP keyboard, which works just fine.

Sent from my Find 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Oppo Find 7a Midnight (X9006)
Daily Driver: CyanogenMod 11 SNAPSHOT M8
Testing: OmniROM 4.4.4 Beta build 01/07/2014

nikkarat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryHapposai View Post
Google keyboard fetching data is a known issue, but it's a Gapps problem.
Omni uses the AOSP keyboard, which works just fine.

Thank you

I installed the last nighty (20140104) and now battery charge works fine

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24115

DONATE TO ME
2012 or 2013 Nexus 7?

My 2013 charges just fine.

Unless you're talking about charging from a PC's USB port - Many of Franco's kernels do dangerous things that can damage your hardware like allowing more than 500 mA to be pulled from a standard downstream port (SDP) - Omni will never include such dangerous features in order to protect your hardware.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

nikkarat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Before installing Swiftkey keyboard there were only Google keyboards. Where the AOSP Keyboars is?

My nexus 7 is 2012 tilapia. Usually PC's USB ports are designed to not deliver more than 500 mA and are fuse protected. Anyway not permitting more than 500 mA on a USD port is a good idea, but from the mains more than 500 mA should be possible as the charger is rated 2 Amps.

Any nighty is better than the other and update is fine, compliments for your work.

AngryHapposai
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkarat View Post
Before installing Swiftkey keyboard there were only Google keyboards. Where the AOSP Keyboars is?
Guess it has been removed by your Gapps package... Also happens with Launcher3, that may get replaced by Google's GEL.

Oppo Find 7a Midnight (X9006)
Daily Driver: CyanogenMod 11 SNAPSHOT M8
Testing: OmniROM 4.4.4 Beta build 01/07/2014

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 24115

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkarat View Post

My nexus 7 is 2012 tilapia. Usually PC's USB ports are designed to not deliver more than 500 mA and are fuse protected. Anyway not permitting more than 500 mA on a USD port is a good idea, but from the mains more than 500 mA should be possible as the charger is rated 2 Amps.

Any nighty is better than the other and update is fine, compliments for your work.
Unfortunately my grouper is now in the hands of my family, but no one else has reported any issues with charging from the wall charger.

Unless you're using a 2A iDevice charger - these get detected as USB by most Android devices as Apple doesn't follow the standards.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

nikkarat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Unfortunately my grouper is now in the hands of my family, but no one else has reported any issues with charging from the wall charger.

Unless you're using a 2A iDevice charger - these get detected as USB by most Android devices as Apple doesn't follow the standards.
Probably I have not been clear in my post. After 20140104 nighty update charge works from both USB and wall charger even when the Nexus is on and this was the issue i had before the update, no charge at all when the device was on. Now less that 500 mA from both USB and wall, I simply was aspecting more charge current from the wall. I am using the charger that cames with the Nexus 7. Anyway this is not any more an issue. I will update my Galaxy Nexus with Omni too.
Thank you and continue your excellent work

All Guys on the forum enjoy 2014!