5,593,793 Members 46,582 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dev-unlocked phone remains unlocked after reset?

Tip us?

zogoibi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default [Q] Dev-unlocked phone remains unlocked after reset?

Hello folks. I hope I'm not posting an already answered question (at least, I couldn't find it using the search tool).

The question is simple: I dev-unlocked my Lumia a few days ago, but now I need to reset the device. After resetting, shall the phone remain dev-unlocked? Or shall I have to go through all the dev-unlocking process again?

Thank you in advance for the answer.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2463
No, of course not. Developer unlock (registration) is a software change, and the whole point of the factory reset is to undo all software changes.

Not that the process is exactly an arduous one, though. I mean, it takes maybe 30 seconds, typing in my password included, on my dev box...
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zogoibi
Old
(Last edited by zogoibi; 30th December 2013 at 01:25 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Thanks for the answer, GDTD.

Just for the sake of some sane discussion: when you "root" an Android device and install Clockworkmod bootloader, it remains installed even if you flash the factory ROM again. So, I don't see the answer to my question as obvious as you do, as I ignore in which "depth" the unlocking takes place.
On the other hand, dev-unlocking my Lumia can be more arduous than what you think, considering that: a) I'm not experienced, b) when I deleted my Microsoft account the AppStudio license went away with it, and -most of all- c) I've downgraded my computer from Windows 8 (I just can't stan that beast) to Windows 7. Now I can't install WP8-SDK. Even the modified one by Arnold Vink doesn't work for me.

But then again, thanks for the information.

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2463
Yeah, bootloader replacement is completely different from this hack. WP7 had some custom bootloaders, although you still had to flash a custom ROM to get full-unlock; the stock ROMs weren't unlocked in any meaningful way by the bootloader replacement. In any case, this is not a flashing operation; the change is entirely made within the running OS, and resetting the state of the OS removes it.

I've used the Win7-hacked version of the SDK just fine, although I guess I haven't tested registration. Not sure what people's beef with Win8 is; I mean, install Classic Start Menu or something if you must, but Win8 is just an OS. It does what I need (load drivers, manage files, run programs) at least as well as Win7 and sometimes better (uses less RAM, can run more software, has better security features).
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.

zogoibi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Cool. Now I understand the whole picture. I don't know why, though, the SDK-lite isn't working for my win7. I've installed the full SDK in a virtual machine running win8 and it had no problem seeing my device (even through pass-thru USB).

My "beef" with win8 is, well, I find it more bothersome in several respects. Though uses less RAM, it takes more disk space (I've Windows on a 128 Gb SSD, along with Linux, and I'm a bit short of storage), I can't get used to the new layout, which shows up even after installing the classic start menu, there are a bunch of new features that I don't control, I dislike the "app" approach to programs and, last but not least, the registration watermark (my copy is pirate) bothers me. But I guess it's a matter of getting used to it.

diestarbucks
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 4050
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogoibi View Post
Cool. Now I understand the whole picture. I don't know why, though, the SDK-lite isn't working for my win7. I've installed the full SDK in a virtual machine running win8 and it had no problem seeing my device (even through pass-thru USB).

My "beef" with win8 is, well, I find it more bothersome in several respects. Though uses less RAM, it takes more disk space (I've Windows on a 128 Gb SSD, along with Linux, and I'm a bit short of storage), I can't get used to the new layout, which shows up even after installing the classic start menu, there are a bunch of new features that I don't control, I dislike the "app" approach to programs and, last but not least, the registration watermark (my copy is pirate) bothers me. But I guess it's a matter of getting used to it.
Well there's your problem right there. Discussion of any pirated software is against the rules of the forum and is not tolerated:

6. Do not post warez.

If a piece of software requires you to pay to use it, then pay for it. We do not accept warez and nor do we permit any member to request, promote or describe ways in which warez, cracks, serial codes or other means of avoiding payment, can be obtained. This is a site of developers, i.e. the sort of people who create such software. When you cheat a software developer, you cheat us as a community.

It is strongly advised that you do not proceed with any conversation related to piracy in the future.

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe