Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Swapping motherboards, keep root data and apps easy?

OP brandonb0013

5th January 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

42 posts
I have a gs3 that I rooted back on ICS, and now my micro usb charging port is wearing out. I have a broken screen gs3 that may be on jellybean. Was thinking of swapping motherboards since the port it's attached to the board. Is there an easy way to not lose my data? Was wondering if I could just do a nandroid restore after I rooted the new board? Not sure what all is stored on the actual board. Maybe someone could fill me in on that as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
6th January 2014, 11:30 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 16

75 posts
More
I don't know about that, and I'm not sure if you're interested, but I just today ordered qi wireless charger and receiver tag. May be a whole lot easier

6th January 2014, 11:35 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,628

5,449 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonb0013

I have a gs3 that I rooted back on ICS, and now my micro usb charging port is wearing out. I have a broken screen gs3 that may be on jellybean. Was thinking of swapping motherboards since the port it's attached to the board. Is there an easy way to not lose my data? Was wondering if I could just do a nandroid restore after I rooted the new board? Not sure what all is stored on the actual board. Maybe someone could fill me in on that as well.

Well if you have the skill to replace the Mainboard..OK, as long as your broken screen phone is not on 4.3, you should able to take a nandroid backup and then restore it back to the new hardware. If your nandroid image included root, then you should have root on the new hardware, you don't have to root the new hardware.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread