5,605,519 Members 45,583 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Swapping motherboards, keep root data and apps easy?

Tip us?

brandonb0013
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Swapping motherboards, keep root data and apps easy?

I have a gs3 that I rooted back on ICS, and now my micro usb charging port is wearing out. I have a broken screen gs3 that may be on jellybean. Was thinking of swapping motherboards since the port it's attached to the board. Is there an easy way to not lose my data? Was wondering if I could just do a nandroid restore after I rooted the new board? Not sure what all is stored on the actual board. Maybe someone could fill me in on that as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

DiSiD
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I don't know about that, and I'm not sure if you're interested, but I just today ordered qi wireless charger and receiver tag. May be a whole lot easier

buhohitr
Old
Thanks Meter 1459
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonb0013 View Post
I have a gs3 that I rooted back on ICS, and now my micro usb charging port is wearing out. I have a broken screen gs3 that may be on jellybean. Was thinking of swapping motherboards since the port it's attached to the board. Is there an easy way to not lose my data? Was wondering if I could just do a nandroid restore after I rooted the new board? Not sure what all is stored on the actual board. Maybe someone could fill me in on that as well.

Well if you have the skill to replace the Mainboard..OK, as long as your broken screen phone is not on 4.3, you should able to take a nandroid backup and then restore it back to the new hardware. If your nandroid image included root, then you should have root on the new hardware, you don't have to root the new hardware.