5,604,443 Members 48,629 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Upgraded to 4.4.2 - Need to root again, please help

Tip us?

johnnywrjackson
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Well, I'll be. It works.

I have been bashing my head against this "rooting" thing for days now, and stumbled upon this thread (admittedly this is where I should have started, but I am not so wise).

I have a Nexus 7 2013 with 4.4.2 but no root. The whole rooting thing is not particularily well explained in the world of Android. I am using a Mac to talk to the N7 over usb. Where does the SuperSu belong, in order to be flashed (or Recovered)? Well, in both the adb folder on the Mac AND the /sdcard/Downloads on the N7 is safe, I guess, because it worked! Moreover, where does it say that the appropriate SuperSu is 1.80?? I don't know, but it worked! And who says the two caches have to be wiped? Can't remember, but it worked!

If this is all in one place, in a script, I couldn't find it. I actually PM'd a member in desperation. (I apologize droidshadow. I broke rules). I believe this rooting thing should be a well worn Sticky, in a device independent script, where PATHs are unambiguous, and the word ROM is replaced by something more meaningful to a newbie, and RECOVER from what to what?

Nonetheless, THANKS for the answer. The N7 is awesome! Google too!
skeletal77 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywrjackson View Post
I have been bashing my head against this "rooting" thing for days now, and stumbled upon this thread (admittedly this is where I should have started, but I am not so wise).

I have a Nexus 7 2013 with 4.4.2 but no root. The whole rooting thing is not particularily well explained in the world of Android. I am using a Mac to talk to the N7 over usb. Where does the SuperSu belong, in order to be flashed (or Recovered)? Well, in both the adb folder on the Mac AND the /sdcard/Downloads on the N7 is safe, I guess, because it worked! Moreover, where does it say that the appropriate SuperSu is 1.80?? I don't know, but it worked! And who says the two caches have to be wiped? Can't remember, but it worked!

If this is all in one place, in a script, I couldn't find it. I actually PM'd a member in desperation. (I apologize droidshadow. I broke rules). I believe this rooting thing should be a well worn Sticky, in a device independent script, where PATHs are unambiguous, and the word ROM is replaced by something more meaningful to a newbie, and RECOVER from what to what?

Nonetheless, THANKS for the answer. The N7 is awesome! Google too!

Excellent points... some of the words used can be confusing to newbies such as myself as well.
I don't really 'understand' what I'm doing with all this stuff I just know 'how to do it' if that makes sense..

With SuperSu, BusyBox.. Recovery Tools.. i really don't know what those things DO.. i just know they are there now and i am rooted.
i basically don't even touch those things.

Though i was able to download and copy AdAway onto my device and then run it using one of those apps.. so i do have ad protection now.

of course when i run Advanced Task Killer it seems to shut it down. so i'm not really sure if it's actually running in the background or not.

mulperi
Old
Thanks Meter 5
AdAway is needed only to update the "hosts" file on your device. Basically it adds several ad server urls eg. annoying.adservice.com and redirect them to localhost ip address (127.0.0.1). That is why it does not need to run in background.

The excellent AFWall+ firewall works in a similiar way with iptables.
skeletal77 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulperi View Post
AdAway is needed only to update the "hosts" file on your device. Basically it adds several ad server urls eg. annoying.adservice.com and redirect them to localhost ip address (127.0.0.1). That is why it does not need to run in background.

The excellent AFWall+ firewall works in a similiar way with iptables.
Interesting info, thank you.

KedarWolf
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Talking How To Re-Install TRWP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletal77 View Post
Hi,

basically I had my Nexus 7 (2013) upgraded to KitKat 4.4.2 using the automatic (wi-fi) over the air update.

it installed fine but caused me to lose root. no other information was lost, all my apps and settings were the same, i simply lost root.

when you lose root, you are no longer able to access TWRP during the bootloader startup by going into recover mode. it will show a dead Android character.

so I simply connected my Nexus to my pc and (having Wug's Root Tookit and Nexus 7 drivers already installed from my first time rooting) I selected (from Wug's drop down menu - when Wug's program starts up) my build and version.. then it did it's magic and downloaded the pertinent files. (of course you need to have USB DeBugging checked in settings > developer options or whatever..

then i selected Root option and 'install custom recover' check box as well.. and let it do its thing.

TWRP started up automatically during reboot, and did the root.. then my Nexus was all good again, all apps and data in tact, with root. all good.

Hope that helps.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4#post44033804

Fixed the Red Android TWRP won't work problem, then install SuperSU http://download.chainfire.eu/370/Sup...erSU-v1.80.zip

Process to install TWRP recovery on your Nexus 7 FLO
-1: Download the latest TWRP recovery image file
Download link- http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/flo

-2: Open the folder where the recovery image file has been downloaded and rename your recovery "recovery-twrp" simply. Re-open your previous Command Prompt window.

-3: Type the following command to flash the recovery image file
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img
-4: The recovery will be flashed and the progress could be observed in the CMD window itself.

Note: To boot the Nexus tablet into Recovery, press the Volume keys (up/down) until Recovery Mode is displayed. Use the Power button to select it and the device will reboot into the TWRP recovery Mode.