[Q] Need answers before I start..

OP Exelzior

6th January 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Krupka
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
More
Hello ,I bought this phone recently and I was quite disapointed. It got really good HW no doubt ,but on the SW side it completly sucks. Camera quality is really poor (some samsung phone(s) uses same camera chip and it takes far more better photos) ,but i dont mind it at all ,im not taking photos very often. Wifi is a disaster because of its low range and it often disconnects from the network ,when the signal is low ,while my Nexus 7 (2012) and my previous tablets had no problem with low signal on wifi. And lastly it has terrible RAM managment. Usually I have ~300MB free RAM ,while my Nexus 7 has over 500 MB and my previous tablet Nextbook Premium 7SE had even +600 MB. It often kills background tasks and service and makes it laggy ,especially when it loads pages on Internet Browser and also because of it sometimes the virtual keyboard wont pop up.

I want to get rid of most of these problems and the bloatware from Sony by installing some custom ROM and kernel. However for this I must root the phone ,unlock the bootloader and flash CWM recorvery and this might be a problem for me ,because I have never done such complicated stuff without some rooting/unlocking BL toolkit. The only android device that I rooted,unlocked BL ,flashed kernels etc... was my Nexus 7 because it is easy and safe to do these stuffs with Nexus Root Toolkit and with TWRP. And so Im gonna need from you to answer these following questions before I start with the procedure:

1. Is my rooting ,unlocking BL ,flashing etc... setup correct?
1. Rooting the phone with FlashTool and with DoomLords easy rooting toolkit
2. Flashing CWM (locked BL edition)
3. Backing up TA directory (where are DRM keys required for functionality of Bravia Engine and for those Sony stuff)
4. Nandroid BackUp
5. Unlocking Bootloader

2. Is it safe to flash Firmware 12.0.A.1.257 in order to root my phone ,even if the phone already had the newest one(12.0.a.2.254)?

3. Is driver for my XSP from Sony PC Companion enough ,or I need to install more drivers? For sure I installed Flashmode and Fastboot drivers from FlashTool folder

4. Should I do nandroid back up before unlocking BL?

5. When I unlock Bootloader ,will it erase the stock ROM with Kernel ,or only data (for example videos ,pictures ,DRM keys?)

6. Will unlocked BL erase the CWM (the one for the locked BL) and root?

7. If something goes wrong while unlocking BL and my device bricks ,will be CWM useful for unbricking?

8. If I want to flash a new ROM ,must I always use FlashTool ,or I can always install them via CWM? If yes ,is the option "wipe data/factory reset" enough for flashing new ROM ,or i need to wipe cache with dalvik too?

9. Do I need microSD card (like a external storage) for flashing new ROM/kernel? Or does the option in CWM "wipe data/factory reset" leave by files like nandroid and ziped ROM / kernels? And is 1GB microSD card enough for nandroid and custom ROMs enough?

10. Whats the percentual chance that my phone will get bricked by doing all of this?

Thank you for answers.

Additional question: I saw on this forum some topics about some offline charging bug. WIll it have negative effect while rooting/unlocking BL?
7th January 2014, 12:47 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 87

227 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exelzior

1. Is my rooting ,unlocking BL ,flashing etc... setup correct?

Thank you for answers.

Additional question: I saw on this forum some topics about some offline charging bug. WIll it have negative effect while rooting/unlocking BL?

1. Backup TA partition
2. Unlock bootloader
3. Flash CWM with Flash tool (using boot.img from CM)
4. Flash CM rom (Im using ubberlaggydarwin's 29.10.2013 build, which is 100% stable for me.

I did use a SDcard to flash the rom.
If you follow the steps in the differnet tutorials; unlocking BL, flashing CWM, flashing CM, then the chance of messing up your phone is really small. Just READ CAREFULLY and follow the steps in the tutorials carefully That's most important, read more than needed(and because of the questions you've asked it seems youve already informed yourself quiet well, read more ) be careful, and follow the steps, it is just a logical proces and if you keep patience and follow the different tutorials, everything will work out fine, it is not that hard, probably the biggest reason for people messing up is not reading enough/getting enough info and not having enough patience/not being secure enough.

Good luck, and enjoy your CM powered phone within a day

PS: I;ve read that when using an older firmware which does not have the offline charging bug and when you than flash a custom rom, the bug won;t show up, allthough there is no 100% proof for this, for me.. I don't care about offline charging my phone stays on for 2 days easily with average use...

Again, good luck and enjoy
Last edited by Robin>Hood; 7th January 2014 at 12:50 AM.
7th January 2014, 01:04 AM   |  #3  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 22

41 posts
More
Read up on this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2354704 by DooMLord and follow the links. Worked great for me. Just read the instructions carefully.
You can normally get out of trouble by being familiar with flashtool to and having a backup on SD card to flash with CWM

Now using OMNI rom after trying most of the others.

Good luck
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread