Do You Check for App Updates Regularly?

Do you let app updates happen automatically or do you regularly check for them? We’re … more

Find The Best Apps With Google’s Picks & Other Tricks

The Google Play Store, weighing in with more than 1.4 million apps at last … more

Dynamic Pop for Note 4 (N910T & 910W8)

With the release of the Canadian Lollipop ROM for the Note 4, T-Mobile users can also enjoy the … more

Sunday Debate: Better to Buy Older or Newer Hardware?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on New vs. Old. Come with your opinions and feel … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Couple noob questions about CyanogenMod

6th January 2014, 05:38 AM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
141 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
1) What are the benefits of CyanogenMod over stock?

2) Is CyanogenMod rooted or do you have to root it separately?

3) Does anyone know if they implemented TextSecure in their stock messaging yet?

4) Is switching back as simple as flashing the stock rom?
 
 
6th January 2014, 09:51 AM |#2  
HORiZUN's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Jacksonville, NC
Thanks Meter: 198
 
517 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
More
Cyanogenmod is better than stock for so many reasons that I'm not going to type them all out. Google that one.

It is a rooted rom.

I have no idea. Check the changelogs at www.get.cm

Yes.

Keep in mind that Cyanogenmod is only available on a very limited number of S4's running <MF3 firmware. For the majority of users who own thus device, it's not even an option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
6th January 2014, 08:55 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
141 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORiZUN

Cyanogenmod is better than stock for so many reasons that I'm not going to type them all out. Google that one.

Keep in mind that Cyanogenmod is only available on a very limited number of S4's running <MF3 firmware. For the majority of users who own thus device, it's not even an option.

Googling it came up with conflicting info. My about device page says I337MVLUEMK6, so I should be fine, right?
6th January 2014, 09:19 PM |#4  
rbedell's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 176
 
470 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
No. That's a 4.3 OS if I'm correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
6th January 2014, 10:00 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
141 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbedell

No. That's a 4.3 OS if I'm correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yup I misread the less than sign. What would happen if I flashed it? Would the device just be bricked?
6th January 2014, 10:22 PM |#6  
rbedell's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 176
 
470 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanikz

Yup I misread the less than sign. What would happen if I flashed it? Would the device just be bricked?

Just bricked sounds a little light hearted. Yes probably a paperweight. You aren't even going to get as far as putting the custom recovery on it. If you flashed in safestrap you would wind up with a black screen because no kernel support yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
6th January 2014, 10:32 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
141 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbedell

Just bricked sounds a little light hearted. Yes probably a paperweight. You aren't even going to get as far as putting the custom recovery on it. If you flashed in safestrap you would wind up with a black screen because no kernel support yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Having more experience with CM, do you think a version will come out anytime soon for I337MVLUEMK6 or not?
7th January 2014, 12:28 AM |#8  
rbedell's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 176
 
470 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanikz

Having more experience with CM, do you think a version will come out anytime soon for I337MVLUEMK6 or not?

Not until hashcode can get the custom kernel hand off to work with safestrap. Then they could do something. Until then no AOSP Roms will work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes