XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] GPS issue

OP ezflip

6th January 2014, 11:03 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

34 posts
I have been having intermittent issues with my GPS but its getting worse. I am currently running Bonestock v2.0.2 but this has happened on other ROMs as well. Didn't use GPS enough while it was stock to know if it was an issue or not. Here is what is happening:

Some apps that use GPS including Google Maps, Car Dashboard Pro, etc will say that GPS is disabled. Google Maps will actually pop up and say its disabled and gives me the option to cancel or go to settings. If I go to settings, everything is checked implying GPS is indeed enabled. Yet Maps still says its disabled. Occasionally Maps will work for a minute and then just randomly lose the GPS signal. This was a huge PITA as I was on a 7 hour drive for a Job interview and kept losing my GPS signal. After about two hours and 4-5 reboots on the road, it finally stayed on for the rest of my trip.

Today, due to the snow storm in MI, I had to pick up a coworker on my way to work. Used Google Maps on my phone because I didn't know where he lived. It worked just fine. Dropped him off after work and tried to use Google Maps again to get out of his convoluted neighborhood, and it gave me the GPS disabled message and 2 hours later after a few reboots, and I still cannot get it to work.

Software info:

Android 4.3
Sense 5.0
Bonestock 2.0.2
Baseband 1.12.42.1104

Let me know if you need any other info off the phone to help diagnose. Any help is appreciated. For the record, I did full wipes while flashing new ROMs. This has been an issue on at least three different ROMs.
6th January 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #2  
Flag Houston, Texas
Thanks Meter: 104

429 posts
More
I have no experience with Bonestock but on my stock ROM the Google location settings are in a different Google Settings app and not directly controlled by GPS enable/disable. I had so many problems with Google Maps I switched to a couple of other alternatives. Have you tested to see if you have the same problems when using another app such as Osmand or Locus?
6th January 2014, 11:53 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

34 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalec

I have no experience with Bonestock but on my stock ROM the Google location settings are in a different Google Settings app and not directly controlled by GPS enable/disable. I had so many problems with Google Maps I switched to a couple of other alternatives. Have you tested to see if you have the same problems when using another app such as Osmand or Locus?

I have not tried other navigation apps, but I have several apps that use the GPS signal and they dont work either. Car Dashboard Pro provides street information and speed, but can never find satellites. I just checked the google settings app that I had tucked away in folder, but that says everything is enabled as well.
6th January 2014, 11:58 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

34 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaverorzi

Are you running the newest firmware on the phone?

How can I find out?
7th January 2014, 01:13 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 32

157 posts
You said your baseband is 1.12.42.1104, but the newest one is 1.12.41.1112_2.
Update your radio and your phone should work flawlessly.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Use this page to update your radio to the latest version.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2485319

The download link to the file is http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319196812
7th January 2014, 01:35 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

34 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_high_tech

You said your baseband is 1.12.42.1104, but the newest one is 1.12.41.1112_2.
Update your radio and your phone should work flawlessly.

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Use this page to update your radio to the latest version.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2485319

The download link to the file is http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23269279319196812

I had heard bad things about the newest OTA radio which is why I went with 1.12.42.1104. But the problem was occurring even before I flashed 1.12.42.1104, so I really don't think its the problem.

I just flashed 1.12.41.1112_2. So, we will see what happens.
Last edited by ezflip; 7th January 2014 at 02:10 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread