Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,001 Members 39,906 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Using hardware keys in games

Tip us?

worldextermination
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default Using hardware keys in games

I recently started playing Critical Strike Portable on my LG OG Pro, and I noticed it's hard to aim and shoot at the same time. My fix for this is to assign the button above the volume buttons (default is camera on PAC-ROM) as the fire key. Question is, how do I do this? I assume I'd have to unpack the APK and edit the configuration file to accept the key as fire. But I'm sure I'd have to throw some device specific mumbo jumbo in there to get it to work properly. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

ramdante
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldextermination View Post
I recently started playing Critical Strike Portable on my LG OG Pro, and I noticed it's hard to aim and shoot at the same time. My fix for this is to assign the button above the volume buttons (default is camera on PAC-ROM) as the fire key. Question is, how do I do this? I assume I'd have to unpack the APK and edit the configuration file to accept the key as fire. But I'm sure I'd have to throw some device specific mumbo jumbo in there to get it to work properly. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Use a ps3 controller over bluetooth instead, if you have that.

worldextermination
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
I don't have one, although I do have an Xbox 360, which I believe is bluetooth as well, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

Neroga
Old
Thanks Meter 521
I'm not exactly sure what to change it to but editing the hardware buttons is quite simple. Go to /system/usr/keylayout/gk-keypad-8064.kl and change key 250 to something else. I would assume that changing it to 1 would make it type the number 1 so you might be able to assign fire to that hardware button if the app allows it.

Sent from my Optimus G Pro using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

worldextermination
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Sweet! I'll try it as soon as I get home! Though I'm not sure what I would assign it to, since the game uses touch commands. Is there any way I can edit the game's APK to assign the key to fire only while the game is open?

Neroga
Old
Thanks Meter 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldextermination View Post
Sweet! I'll try it as soon as I get home! Though I'm not sure what I would assign it to, since the game uses touch commands. Is there any way I can edit the game's APK to assign the key to fire only while the game is open?

I'm no sure. Never got into modifying APKs. There IS an app called Game Keyboard (paid) that allows you to assign hardware keys to touch inputs. It's well worth the few bucks. I use it for just about every game / emulator I have as you can make your own custom layouts.

Sent from my Optimus G Pro using XDA Premium 4 mobile app