Specific nfc app

Tip us?

TeunowNL
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Specific nfc app

Hello everybody

I was wondering if there is a nfc app which makes it possible to write on a nfc tag to connect to a specific wifi-connection.

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda app-developers app

ascsa
Old
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeunowNL View Post
Hello everybody

I was wondering if there is a nfc app which makes it possible to write on a nfc tag to connect to a specific wifi-connection.

Yep, easy

Get NFC ReTag ...tap a tag ... name the tag....add activity "Add new SSID" (Wireless/Network) configure your SSID, Security and password and then use the Write option within the tag edit screen (action bar above) to write the activity on your tag.

Et voila, ssid and password written on your tag and everybody with nfc retag installed can easily connect to your network ....

Remark: Unfortunately, there is NO WAY to write a tag which doesnīt require an app to interpret the information, because Android (and the NFC specification!) doesnīt provide any native way to do this without an app installed... ... However, if someone without NFC ReTag installed, scans the tag, the tag will open Google Play and let the user download NFC ReTag (FREE version and less than 700kb).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ascsa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TeunowNL
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks! It works. I've been searching for an app like this one for so long

liteon163
Old
Thanks Meter 7
So far, it looks like this is the app I was looking for as well. I wanted something more capable than Samsung's TecTile app and this seems to fit the bill.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ascsa
Old
(Last edited by ascsa; 4th January 2014 at 05:29 PM.)
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeunowNL View Post
Thanks! It works. I've been searching for an app like this one for so long
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteon163 View Post
So far, it looks like this is the app I was looking for as well. I wanted something more capable than Samsung's TecTile app and this seems to fit the bill.
Hmm, youīre welcome .... and thanks for the wake up call ... either I should improve my marketing or you should improve your search skills ...... NFC ReTag is currently the number 2 result within Google Play, if you search for "NFC"... ....but apparently a lot of people are not aware of it ....

liteon163
Old
Thanks Meter 7
NFC Retag was #4 when I just searched.

I particularly like that the app doesn't actually seem to write to the tag, it simply forms an association with its value that triggers my settings.

Samsung's TecTile app actually seems to change the tile's value. At least it seems this way when reading the tag first with NFC Retag, programming it with the TecTile app, and then reading it again with NFC Retag.

ascsa
Old
(Last edited by ascsa; 7th January 2014 at 01:32 AM.)
Thanks Meter 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteon163 View Post
NFC Retag was #4 when I just searched.

I particularly like that the app doesn't actually seem to write to the tag, it simply forms an association with its value that triggers my settings.

Samsung's TecTile app actually seems to change the tile's value. At least it seems this way when reading the tag first with NFC Retag, programming it with the TecTile app, and then reading it again with NFC Retag.

Yep, the Google Play search rank is currently a bit unstable ... Goggle obviously had just changed their ranking algorithm and mess it up somehow ....seems that a lot of apps jumping 100+ ranks up and down several times a day ...so #4 is a setback, but it could be worse

However, yes NFC ReTag doesnīt write anything on the tag, unless you want it to do so
Itīs designed to work with read-only tags,too...therefore it saves all your activities in an app internal database on your device....

BUT it also has some cool write features: e.g.:

- the write Activity tag option mentioned in post 2 (action bar; tag edit screen) --> writes a cycle on a tag ... and usually needs a lot less space on the tag than the TecTile app --> means more activities per tag ... and itīs perfect for sharing your wifi credentials ...

- the write "special NFC ReTag tag" option (more button) writes only some small dispatching information on the tag ....so it combines both concepts (written tag + database) --> bulletproof dispatching, best performance, cycles and unlimited number of activities ... if you have writeable tags, I would always recommend to write a special NFC ReTag tag ....

So with ReTag, you can use both concepts depending on your use-case, tag size, requirement, restriction or preference ....Hack, you can even beam your tag activities from one device to another device